Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics-related tattoo ideas

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    Physics-related tattoo ideas :D

So, I'm starting college in March - to major in Astronomy - and, as a tattoo lover, I'd like to represent my obsession over Astronomy and general Physics by getting a tattoo, as it has changed my life in many ways.

Thing is, I'm out of ideas. I am thinking of getting it as a birthday gift - I also turn 18 in March -, so any suggestions would be really appreciated. I was thinking of getting something related to gravity, as I think it's a beautiful and fascinating thing... Any formulas (I bet there is a obscure/more complex formula for gravity my high schooler self is unaware of - Kepler's won't do the trick), drawings, anything?

Thank you :)

P.S.: I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes or something like that - english isn't my primary language!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

Re: Physics-related tattoo ideas :D

Welcome to the forums! :smile:

Forget the equation thing; everyone does that.

You should get a life-sized tattoo of a quark! It's probably going to be way cheaper than a supercluster, and if you don't like it there's no painful, expensive removal process!

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3

think it better to what kind of tatoo you need... it takes a lot money if you want to get rid of a tatoo you don't like

5. Dec 13, 2011 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Dec 13, 2011 #5

E=mc^2 on Uranus, you will become the coolest cat on campus.

7. Dec 13, 2011 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seeing as how you'll need something to give you the stamina for doing homework until 3:00 AM, I'd go with a tattoo of a caffeine molecule.

But not on your forehead. Tattooing a caffeine molecule on a person's forehead is a way of warning the world that that person likes to steal the last cup of coffee without making another pot.

8. Dec 13, 2011 #7

I should've searched before creating a new thread. Uh-oh. My bad - I'm sorry.

Of course I'll think a lot before getting a tattoo - it'll be on my body forever, so I need to be cautious. I'm not that stupid, you know :tongue: By reading the other thread I realize most people here find tattoos stupid, and yeah, most are, I agree - people usually just look at a beautiful drawing of a rose or something and say "hell yes, I should totally tattoo this". lol. Well, I'm against meaningless tattoos, but it's really not the case.

Well, if I don't get any good idea than maybe the quark one would be nice! haha

9. Dec 13, 2011 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What happens if you find, after the tattoo, that the Sciences aren't really your calling?

Tattoo Free

10. Dec 13, 2011 #9

So far I've seen a chick with pi tattoed on her arm. Then I've seen a really detailed tattoo of voyager 2 with the night sky in the background. I could imagine that one was painful!!!

11. Dec 13, 2011 #10

Just tell people you may or may not have a tattoo of [tex]\Delta x \Delta p \le \frac{ħ}{2}[/tex] and save yourself the trouble of regretting it later!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  12. Dec 14, 2011 #11

Dembadon

Gold Member

Can someone please fix Quark's tex? It has created an unresolved tension that won't go away until it's done.

13. Dec 14, 2011 #12

What he meant to show.

14. Dec 14, 2011 #13

Yeah, I realize everyone hates tattoos around here and I really won't get a straight answer... Thanks, guys.

15. Dec 14, 2011 #14

G_{\mu \nu} + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}.

Sorry, I don't know how to get Tex to work. It's Einstein's field equations, which is a obscure/more complex formula for gravity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations

16. Dec 14, 2011 #15
    This is awesome :) Thank you! I'll study it and see if it applies to me.

17. Dec 14, 2011 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd date her.

This one could actually be pretty cool, just because of the significance of the Voyager spacecraft.

18. Dec 14, 2011 #17

Dembadon

Gold Member

Thank you for trying to help, KrisOhn, but it's still messed-up in his post. :smile:

19. Dec 14, 2011 #18

THAT is hilarious. Kudos to making the best science joke I've ever heard in my life.

20. Dec 14, 2011 #19

What he meant to show hah. Just use the tex bb tags.
    Code (Text):

[tex]G_{\mu \nu} + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

Haha, its fixed now. :approve:

21. Dec 14, 2011 #20

Dembadon

Gold Member

Yessssss! Thanks, Ryan! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook