What are some unique physics-related tattoo ideas?

In summary, some unique physics-related tattoo ideas include designs inspired by famous equations such as E=mc², the double-slit experiment, or the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. Other ideas include tattoos of astronomical objects like black holes, galaxies, or constellations, as well as symbols from various branches of physics such as the atom, the periodic table, or the waveform. Another unique idea is to get a tattoo of the Feynman diagram, a visual representation of particle interactions in quantum field theory. Ultimately, the possibilities for physics-related tattoos are endless and can be personalized to reflect one's specific interests and passions within the field.
BKawka
Physics-related tattoo ideas :D

So, I'm starting college in March - to major in Astronomy - and, as a tattoo lover, I'd like to represent my obsession over Astronomy and general Physics by getting a tattoo, as it has changed my life in many ways.

Thing is, I'm out of ideas. I am thinking of getting it as a birthday gift - I also turn 18 in March -, so any suggestions would be really appreciated. I was thinking of getting something related to gravity, as I think it's a beautiful and fascinating thing... Any formulas (I bet there is a obscure/more complex formula for gravity my high schooler self is unaware of - Kepler's won't do the trick), drawings, anything?

Thank you :)

P.S.: I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes or something like that - english isn't my primary language!

Physics news on Phys.org

BKawka said:
So, I'm starting college in March - to major in Astronomy - and, as a tattoo lover, I'd like to represent my obsession over Astronomy and general Physics by getting a tattoo, as it has changed my life in many ways.

Thing is, I'm out of ideas. I am thinking of getting it as a birthday gift - I also turn 18 in March -, so any suggestions would be really appreciated. I was thinking of getting something related to gravity, as I think it's a beautiful and fascinating thing... Any formulas (I bet there is a obscure/more complex formula for gravity my high schooler self is unaware of - Kepler's won't do the trick), drawings, anything?

Thank you :)

P.S.: I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes or something like that - english isn't my primary language!

Welcome to the forums! :smile:

Forget the equation thing; everyone does that.

You should get a life-sized tattoo of a quark! It's probably going to be way cheaper than a supercluster, and if you don't like it there's no painful, expensive removal process!

think it better to what kind of tatoo you need... it takes a lot money if you want to get rid of a tatoo you don't like

E=mc^2 on Uranus, you will become the coolest cat on campus.

Seeing as how you'll need something to give you the stamina for doing homework until 3:00 AM, I'd go with a tattoo of a caffeine molecule.

But not on your forehead. Tattooing a caffeine molecule on a person's forehead is a way of warning the world that that person likes to steal the last cup of coffee without making another pot.

I should've searched before creating a new thread. Uh-oh. My bad - I'm sorry.

Of course I'll think a lot before getting a tattoo - it'll be on my body forever, so I need to be cautious. I'm not that stupid, you know :tongue: By reading the other thread I realize most people here find tattoos stupid, and yeah, most are, I agree - people usually just look at a beautiful drawing of a rose or something and say "hell yes, I should totally tattoo this". lol. Well, I'm against meaningless tattoos, but it's really not the case.

Well, if I don't get any good idea than maybe the quark one would be nice! haha

What happens if you find, after the tattoo, that the Sciences aren't really your calling?
Tattoo Free

So far I've seen a chick with pi tattoed on her arm. Then I've seen a really detailed tattoo of voyager 2 with the night sky in the background. I could imagine that one was painful!

Just tell people you may or may not have a tattoo of [tex]\Delta x \Delta p \le \frac{ħ}{2}[/tex] and save yourself the trouble of regretting it later!

Last edited by a moderator:

Can someone please fix Quark's tex? It has created an unresolved tension that won't go away until it's done.

QuarkCharmer said:
Just tell people you may or may not have a tattoo of [tex]\Delta x \Delta p \le \frac{ħ}{2}[/tex] and save yourself the trouble of regretting it later!

What he meant to show.

Yeah, I realize everyone hates tattoos around here and I really won't get a straight answer... Thanks, guys.

BKawka said:
Any formulas (I bet there is a obscure/more complex formula for gravity my high schooler self is unaware of - Kepler's won't do the trick), drawings, anything?

G_{\mu \nu} + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}.

Sorry, I don't know how to get Tex to work. It's Einstein's field equations, which is a obscure/more complex formula for gravity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations

PatrickPowers said:
G_{\mu \nu} + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}.

Sorry, I don't know how to get Tex to work. It's Einstein's field equations, which is a obscure/more complex formula for gravity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations

This is awesome :) Thank you! I'll study it and see if it applies to me.

gizmo6 said:
So far I've seen a chick with pi tattoed on her arm.

I'd date her.

Then I've seen a really detailed tattoo of voyager 2 with the night sky in the background.

This one could actually be pretty cool, just because of the significance of the Voyager spacecraft .

KrisOhn said:
What he meant to show.

Thank you for trying to help, KrisOhn, but it's still messed-up in his post. :smile:

EternityMech said:

THAT is hilarious. Kudos to making the best science joke I've ever heard in my life.

PatrickPowers said:
[tex]G_{\mu \nu} + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

What he meant to show hah. Just use the tex bb tags.
Code:
[tex]G_{\mu \nu} + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

Dembadon said:
Thank you for trying to help, KrisOhn, but it's still messed-up in his post. :smile:

Haha, its fixed now. :approve:

Yessssss! Thanks, Ryan! :smile:

EternityMech said:

I assume that you refer to Cat Sass, which is the name of a good band composed of my friends.

gizmo6 said:
So far I've seen a chick with pi tattoed on her arm.
To how many decimal places, and where did it end? :tongue2:
On a more serious note, there are only two tatoos that I want to get. The first is a modification of one that an SF hero (I think that it was Theodore Sturgeon) used to write above his signature when autographing books or suchlike. It was a "Q" with an arrow through it. My modification is that I want a chrome-yellow "?" in the Adobe version of "balloon" font, with a crimson #3 draughting arrow through it. Either way, the message is the same: "Ask the next question."
I can envision that getting me into trouble in bars. Large guy asks, "What's that tat mean?" I respond, "Next question", whereupon I get thumped out.
The other one that I really want is in a serious and yet artistic font, such as Copperplate, and states: "Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati." That is the motto of Possum Lodge. In fake latin, in means, "When all else fails, play dead".

Last edited:

Have you considered a professional temporary "tat"? Some of the enhanced photos from the Hubble and the new telescope (brain fog) are truly gorgeous and you could do a new one every month with no worries about having it removed. the new black hole is seriously amazing.

netgypsy said:
Have you considered a professional temporary "tat"? Some of the enhanced photos from the Hubble and the new telescope (brain fog) are truly gorgeous and you could do a new one every month with no worries about having it removed. the new black hole is seriously amazing.

It would be awesome! But I'm afraid it would get a bit too pricey :(

I bet you could learn how to do it yourself. Wonder what kind of ink they use?

I feel obliged to mention as well that there are now programmable tats. I don't know whether or not they are approved for public availability, but I have seen laboratory tests. Unfortunately, I can't remember the specifics of how they work, but it is either LCD or electroreactive ink that is activated by a microchip. The chip itself can be reprogrammed from an external controller. At the very least, it will eliminate the pain and expense of removing an ex's name from your chest.

I think that it was "Daily Planet" on Discovery Channel where I saw it.

Although simple, a good idea (and one that I'm considering jumping on) might be to have the Newtonian equation for universal gravitation tattooed upon your shoulder in reference to the famous quote from Sir Isaac Newton himself.

BKawka said:
people usually just look at a beautiful drawing of a rose or something and say "hell yes, I should totally tattoo this". lol. Well, I'm against meaningless tattoos, but it's really not the case.

Read somewhere that a rose tattoo on his wife's boobs looked beautiful 30 years ago. Now it looks like a long stemmed tulip.

You could argue that this is the gravity effect on the tattoo, hence physics related.

If you don't want an equation, then perhaps a mobius strip or klein bottle? I am looking to get a tattoo of perhaps the perfect ratio or something of the sort.

But I also want to get a tat of any scientific/industrial contribution I may make in my life time. (With room for the inevitable peer review and revisions :biggrin:)

I got 23 small tattoos put down on paper that I may someday put on my arm when I get my size, sorry don't want to give them away as they are unique to me.

1. What are some unique physics-related tattoo ideas?

Some unique physics-related tattoo ideas could include equations or formulas that hold personal significance, such as the Schrödinger equation or the Pythagorean theorem. Other ideas could include illustrations of famous experiments or discoveries in physics, like the double-slit experiment or the discovery of the Higgs boson. Another option could be to incorporate symbols or diagrams from different branches of physics, such as the atom symbol for atomic physics or a wave for quantum mechanics.

2. Can you suggest a physics-related tattoo that is both subtle and meaningful?

A subtle yet meaningful physics-related tattoo could be a simple line drawing of an atom or molecule, symbolizing the building blocks of matter. Another idea could be a small tattoo of the electromagnetic spectrum, representing the fundamental forces that govern the universe. Additionally, a minimalist tattoo of the solar system or a constellation could also hold significance for someone interested in astrophysics.

3. Are there any physics-related tattoos that are popular among scientists?

Some popular physics-related tattoos among scientists include the famous equation E=mc², a tattoo of the periodic table, or a depiction of the famous "apple falling from the tree" that inspired Isaac Newton's theory of gravity. Other popular choices include illustrations of the four fundamental forces of nature or a tattoo of the symbol for infinity, representing the endless possibilities of the universe.

4. Can you suggest a physics-related tattoo that incorporates both science and art?

One idea for a physics-related tattoo that incorporates both science and art could be a tattoo of the Mandelbrot set, a famous fractal that is both visually stunning and mathematically complex. Another option could be a tattoo of the Fibonacci spiral, a natural phenomenon that is seen in many aspects of art and nature and is based on a mathematical sequence. Additionally, a tattoo of a famous quote by a renowned physicist, such as Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking, could also combine science and art in a meaningful way.

5. Are there any physics-related tattoos that are considered bad luck or offensive?

While there are no specific physics-related tattoos that are considered bad luck or offensive, it is important to be mindful and respectful of cultural or religious symbols that may hold different meanings for different people. Additionally, it is always a good idea to thoroughly research any design or symbol before getting it permanently tattooed on your body. Some people may also consider it inappropriate to get a tattoo of a theory or concept that they do not fully understand or have not studied in depth.