Is it a good idea to get a tattoo of mathematical equations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
cmmcnamara
Messages
121
Reaction score
2
So this is slightly off topic but still physics related.

I want to get a tattoo of Newton's second law in a few forms on my arm and this is what I've settled on:

[tex]\sum{\vec{F}}=\frac{∂\vec{p}}{∂t}=-\nablaφ[/tex]

The only thing I am a bit worried about, is although I aesthetically like the partial derivative symbolism better am I just a bit worried about having something permanent on my arm that is incorrect. So just as a verification, would it be silly if the partial differential symbols were used in place of the ordinary ones? Thanks guys!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org


you could tatoo yourself with a collection of prime numbers and then when someone asks you could say you're the indivisible man.

if you like the flow of the partial maybe you should look into Tengwar the elven language in the Lord of the Rings. Its cryptic but can be phonetically pronounced and looks cool although perhaps not as a tatoo.
 


jedishrfu said:
you could tattoo yourself with a collection of prime numbers and then when someone asks you could say you're the indivisible man.

Ba doom tish!
 


genericusrnme said:
don't get equations tattooed, ever

Agreed. Equations in particular are just silly, though there is nothing wrong with mathematical concepts in general (I've been working on a design that illustrates a mapping between a simplicial complex and a 2-sphere)