Is it a good idea to get a tattoo of mathematical equations?

In summary, the individual is seeking opinions on getting a tattoo of Newton's second law and is considering using partial derivative symbols instead of the ordinary ones. Others advise against getting equations tattooed and suggest using Tengwar or mathematical concepts instead.
cmmcnamara
So this is slightly off topic but still physics related.

I want to get a tattoo of Newton's second law in a few forms on my arm and this is what I've settled on:

[tex]\sum{\vec{F}}=\frac{∂\vec{p}}{∂t}=-\nablaφ[/tex]

The only thing I am a bit worried about, is although I aesthetically like the partial derivative symbolism better am I just a bit worried about having something permanent on my arm that is incorrect. So just as a verification, would it be silly if the partial differential symbols were used in place of the ordinary ones? Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, it looks silly.

don't get equations tattooed, ever

Ben Niehoff said:
Yes, it looks silly.

genericusrnme said:

Agreed with both of them

you could tatoo yourself with a collection of prime numbers and then when someone asks you could say you're the indivisible man.

if you like the flow of the partial maybe you should look into Tengwar the elven language in the Lord of the Rings. Its cryptic but can be phonetically pronounced and looks cool although perhaps not as a tatoo.

jedishrfu said:
you could tattoo yourself with a collection of prime numbers and then when someone asks you could say you're the indivisible man.

Ba doom tish!

genericusrnme said:

Agreed. Equations in particular are just silly, though there is nothing wrong with mathematical concepts in general (I've been working on a design that illustrates a mapping between a simplicial complex and a 2-sphere)

1. What is the significance of a tattoo of Newton's second law?

The second law of motion, also known as the law of acceleration, is a fundamental principle in physics that explains how an object's motion changes in response to external forces. Having a tattoo of this law can serve as a reminder of the importance of understanding and applying scientific principles in daily life.

2. What does Newton's second law state?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate.

3. Is Newton's second law still relevant today?

Absolutely! Newton's second law is a fundamental principle of physics and is still widely used and applied in various fields such as engineering, biomechanics, and even sports. It is a crucial concept for understanding how objects move and interact with each other.

4. How is Newton's second law related to the other laws of motion?

Newton's second law is part of a set of three laws known as Newton's Laws of Motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Together, these laws provide a comprehensive understanding of how objects move and interact.

5. Can you give an example of how Newton's second law is applied in real life?

One example is when a person is pushing a shopping cart. The force they apply to the cart causes it to accelerate in the direction of the force, as stated by Newton's second law. The more force they apply, the faster the cart will accelerate. Additionally, the mass of the cart will affect how quickly it accelerates, with a heavier cart requiring more force to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter cart.