How do body modifications impact career opportunities in STEM fields?

In summary, people in academia are more open-minded than the general population, and tatoos are pretty common. However, some people in academia may be more open-minded than others, and some people might not be open-minded at all.
blackmage
So i was thinking about getting a tattoo. I already have a septum piercing.
Next year I am starting my math major with a minor in physics. I'm hoping to get into research later down the path.
How are body modifications perceived in grad/post grad-school?
Do any of you have them?

Attachments

• 4acf2642bf73cac4219ef343c1514ba3.jpg
    4acf2642bf73cac4219ef343c1514ba3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have them and they are rare, but I know people who do. Most people won't care as long as they are reasonable.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Tattoos are pretty common these days. And as a general rule, people in academia tend to be more open-minded than the general population. Standard personal judgement rules apply though. I don't think anyone would blink a (judgemental) eye at the attached JPG on the original post. It might be different for a tattoo with content some people might consider objectionable.

In my experience, grad students are disproportionally tattooed/pierced/have dyed hair compared to the general population in their 20s.

I have three questions:
  1. Does this involve piercing? Particularly in a sensitive area?
  2. Do you plan to be working with high magnetic fields?
  3. If 1 and 2 are both true, do you think this is a good idea?

Likes vela, russ_watters and symbolipoint
My perspective may be different since a lot of my professional experience is at conservative institutions (Air Force Academy, private schools, defense contracting). Most of these more conservative institutions have policies that require tatoos to be covered.

Even when I worked for a more progressive company (Cisco Systems), I don't recall a single person in R&D having any visible tatoos or body piercings. But I worked for a branch in the mid-west. The California experience at Cisco might be much different.

My general philosophy is that one does the best in free market systems by keeping the doors open to as many income opportunities as possible in terms of manner and appearance. Even though I'm not a drug user, my long hair was being interpreted by some potential business partners in the southern US as a "dope smoking hippy type." During the "Duck Dynasty" era in Louisiana, I was given a pass on the long hair and it did not seem to hinder anything I wanted to do. But about the time Duck Dynasty ended, I started branching out more (consulting business) into TX, GA, NC, SC, and AL. This started to bring some negative comments on the long hair. I cut it.

Last edited:

1. What are body modifications in STEM?

Body modifications in STEM refer to any changes made to a person's body, typically for aesthetic purposes, that are relevant to their work in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What types of body modifications are common in STEM fields?

Common types of body modifications in STEM include tattoos, piercings, hair dye, and cosmetic procedures such as breast augmentations or rhinoplasty. However, these modifications are not limited to these examples and can vary greatly depending on the individual.

3. Are body modifications accepted in the STEM community?

This can vary depending on the specific workplace and culture, but in general, body modifications are becoming more accepted and commonplace in the STEM community. However, it is always important to be aware of any dress code or appearance policies in your workplace or industry.

4. Can body modifications affect a person's job prospects in STEM?

In some cases, body modifications may affect a person's job prospects in STEM, particularly in more traditional or conservative industries. However, many STEM fields prioritize skills and qualifications over appearance, so having body modifications should not automatically disqualify someone from a job.

5. Are there any safety concerns with body modifications in STEM?

There can be safety concerns with certain body modifications in STEM, particularly those involving piercings or cosmetic procedures. It is important to consult with a professional and follow proper aftercare instructions to minimize any potential risks.