Physics REUs 2017: Have You Heard Back?

In summary: I haven't gotten news from any of the 7 I applied to. I feel like I should have applied to more. Has anyone heard from the JLab/Old Dominion REU? It's my top...or maybe 2nd...choice.In summary, students have not received any news from the schools they applied to. Some students have been accepted into American and Canadian REUs, but others have not been accepted into either.
Finesagan
I feel like it's about time we started this thread once again. Has anyone heard back from the schools they applied to? Furthermore, does anyone have questions about the REUs they have been accepted into?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a job lined up, not an REU though. I was wondering if any students have done both an American REU and a Canadian one (NSERC USRA), and if so, how did they compare?

I have been accepted into the TAMU Cycltron REU.

Likes puddleduck
Congrats on TAMU!

I haven't heard from any that I've applied to yet.

I've been accepted to an internship at General Atomics DIII-D in plasma and fusion sciences. Super excited

Likes puddleduck
Stephen Storment said:
I've been accepted to an internship at General Atomics DIII-D in plasma and fusion sciences. Super excited

Congratz!
Did you apply through the SULI program? They told me I'd hear back from them this week.

Rev said:
Congratz!
Did you apply through the SULI program? They told me I'd hear back from them this week.

Yep! I selected GA and PPPL as my labs and I was very happy to hear back from GA. Which labs did you apply to?

Stephen Storment said:
Yep! I selected GA and PPPL as my labs and I was very happy to hear back from GA. Which labs did you apply to?
I applied to the same ones. I chose pppl as my first choice. Hope all goes well

Rev said:
I applied to the same ones. I chose pppl as my first choice. Hope all goes well
I hope you get selected! Good luck

Stephen Storment said:
I hope you get selected! Good luck
Thank you :). Did they send you an email notifying you? Or did you check the status page? (Super nervous here - Kinda banking on SULI)

Rev said:
Thank you :). Did they send you an email notifying you? Or did you check the status page? (Super nervous here - Kinda banking on SULI)
I received an automated email at the exact same time my status on the status page was changed. I received a personalized email from the director at GA a few minutes later.
Don't give up hope yet! The offer period doesn't end until next month, and I know PPPL has like three times as many spots to fill as GA.

I have just received acceptance to Nevis Labs. I would love to hear a review from anyone who has done this one before.

Likes puddleduck
Not quite physics related but I applied to the AAPM summer undergraduate fellowship and am curious to know when/if anyone receives anything from them! Also applied to the REU at RIT in imaging sciences but don't hear back till mid march.

Waiting on UMich Physics REU, as well as some Astro REUs. Pretty sure I made the first round of cuts for my number one Astro choice, which makes my heart feel like it's going to explode. Notifications for Astro start March 1, then March 15 for UMich. :nb)

I applied to about ten REUs, and haven't gotten any correspondence from them. I see that the first offer deadline is March 3. Does this mean that I am likely not being considered for first round offers, or do they typically release offers very close to March 3rd?

I got rejected from both the Duke/TUNL Research REU and the University of Michigan (CERN) REU aready. :(

@Finesagan. The Nevis Labs has not updated their website, but since you got an acceptance, I assume they've already given out all of their acceptances?

I had just created my own thread for this before seeing this one, oh well. But yes! I got accepted into Brown for marine geography/geophysics and Notre dame for an area of my choosing (if it's not claimed yet). I'm a prospective astrophysics student so I'm struggling with myself to pick Brown (but it's such a great school to have on my CV) so I'm not sure what to do at this point

@j_jeff I don't think future applications would care about the name Brown if it is not the astro section. That said, I think it would be a lot more fun to do something outside of your specific area. That will be a lot harder to do as you get older

Just heard back from AAPM, they only had 7 fellowships to give out this year when in past years they give out 13-15 :( Got an email I was a runner up and I'll hear about an offer by March 7th but then 15 minutes later got one saying I wasn't selected. So I guess that leaves me in a grey area... Maybe I'll get another email later but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Now just waiting to hear about RIT which I should hear about in the next few days.

I haven't gotten news from any of the 7 I applied to. I feel like I should have applied to more. Has anyone heard from the JLab/Old Dominion REU? It's my top choice.

The CIERA Northwestern emails are out. Any other updates from other programs?

Our REU (soft matter physics) just got funded; it's not yet on the NSF site. We had a meeting about applicants yesterday (2/28), we are going to review applicants by late March.

Rejected by email from UMich, 10 spots and over 450 applicants.

The SOEST Hawaii program said they were behind on reviewing applications. I imagine that is the case for several programs.

I have been accepted into a SURF at Caltech and at Fermilab!

Congragulations! How did you get notified about the Caltech SURF program @CassiniDivision? I have not gotten an official rejection email yet.

lessconfused said:
Congragulations! How did you get notified about the Caltech SURF program @CassiniDivision? I have not gotten an official rejection email yet.

It was in an email directly from the mentor that I would possibly be working with. He did say he got the ball rolling on his choices a little earlier than everyone else, though I am supposed to give him an answer in the next few days. I'm still not sure which program to pick. So, there is still time to be accepted!

AMNH REU is interviewing finalists (113 students - they didn't say how many applied), but only halfway through the list as of Friday.

Still haven't heard back from NRAO or Harvard SAO. :frown: Anyone have updates on those programs?

I heard from NRAO but had to decline (Charlottesville, VA). I went to Harvard SAO last year and they didn't approach me until mid March. I'm not sure if that's because I was low on their list or because they had to go through a lot of applications and were behind. It did not sound like I was last.

Thanks for the info. When did you hear from NRAO, if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all! I heard from the NRAO two days ago, and declined yesterday.

Arecibo sent out letters - over 200 applicants.

@Alexmer I applied to JLab too and I haven't heard back yet.

FYI- one of my close friends at my university was accepted to the University of Chicago about a week ago. I thought someone wanted to know about that REU...

Likes Joshua L