Physics - Thermodynamics - Pressure caused by Nitrogen atoms hitting a surface

In summary: Ha!In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics problem involving the collision of nitrogen molecules with a wall. The student provides their attempt at a solution and receives feedback from another user. After some back and forth, the student realizes their mistake and is able to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the student expressing gratitude for the help.
WolfeSieben
Hi there,

I'm a first timer on this forum and am hoping to get some help.

Homework Statement

4.00×10^23 nitrogen molecules collide with a 18.0 cm^2 wall each second. Assume that the molecules all travel with a speed of 350 m/s and strike the wall head on.

Homework Equations

F = MA
Pressure (Pascals) = Newtons/M^2
Avagraddo's Number = 6.02 x 10^23 molecules per mole

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I'm not sure what I did wrong here so I'm hoping someone here can help.

To start I figured out the weight of the nitrogen molecules:

(4.00 x 10^23 molecules of N2)/(6.02 x 10^23 molecules per mole)

= 0.664 moles

.664 moles x 28g/mol (as nitrogen is diatomic, 2x14g/mol) = 18.6 g = 0.0186kg

Then to get the force:
When the molecules hit the wall, I am assuming there is an instant acceleration in the opposite direction. thus;

F = ma

(0.0186kg)(350 m/s/s)

= 6.51 Newtons

Then, Pressure = F/A (Pascals)

(6.51N)/(0.0018m^2)

= 3616 Pascals.

This is the answer I obtained on my own, and with the help of a tutor and yet my assignment is saying it is wrong. Can you please shed some light on my mistake(s)?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that the velocity is 350 m/s. Just because you incorrectly write it as 350 m/s/s doesn't magically turn it into an acceleration. Momentum is p=m*v. So the force is also equal to the rate of change of momentum with respect to time since dp/dt=m*dv/dt=m*a=F. Try taking that approach.

Alright, for this course my prof said we do not have to use derivatives, and I am actually quite unfamiliar with how to use them. so is there any other way to approach the problem?

Just so I can clear up the concept for my own knowledge;
In the question itself it says it is over a time of 1 second. so wouldn't that mean even though the momentum is (Mass x velocity) can I not just divide it by that 1 second interval mentioned in the initial question to make it into an acceleration of 350 m/s/s?

Thanks for your time and help.

Right. Now I see how you are doing it. I'm not sure what's going wrong. But are you supposed to assume the molecules bounce off of the wall or do they stick to it? That would alter your change in velocity.

Last edited:
From all of the other example problems from this chapter, they all say they bounce off the wall. So for this one I am assuming they would just bounce off. I also double checked and the question is asking for the value in Pascals so I know I obviously made a mistake, but i just don't see where.

WolfeSieben said:
From all of the other example problems from this chapter, they all say they bounce off the wall. So for this one I am assuming they would just bounce off. I also double checked and the question is asking for the value in Pascals so I know I obviously made a mistake, but i just don't see where.

If they bounce, then they come in at 350 m/s and then they go the other way at 350 m/s. What's the correct change in velocity? Yours is right if they stick.

so the change in velocity should be a total of 700 m/s?

This is one of those lightbulb moments in my mind haha.

So i just re-did the last couple steps and i came out with a answer of 7,233 Pa.
Could you please just verify if this correct, I only have 1 attempt left to answer the question and just want to be sure.

Thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated!

WolfeSieben said:
So i just re-did the last couple steps and i came out with a answer of 7,233 Pa.
Could you please just verify if this correct, I only have 1 attempt left to answer the question and just want to be sure.

Thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated!

Mmm. Tough call. I got 7235 Pa. But I was rounding Avogadro's number and using using an molecular weight of EXACTLY 28. You are pretty close I think. If the homework rejects it I hope you can appeal.

Last edited:
Perfect, So I punched in 7233 and it said the proper answer was 7230, but it gave me full credit for the answer.

Thanks again.

Very welcome. The important thing was the lightbulb.

1. What is the definition of pressure in thermodynamics?

Pressure in thermodynamics is defined as the force exerted per unit area by a gas or liquid on the walls of its container.

2. How is pressure caused by nitrogen atoms hitting a surface measured?

The pressure caused by nitrogen atoms hitting a surface is usually measured using a pressure gauge, which detects the force exerted by the gas particles on a specific area of the gauge.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, the relationship between temperature and pressure is described by Charles' Law, which states that as the temperature of a gas increases, the pressure also increases.

4. How does the pressure caused by nitrogen atoms hitting a surface affect the behavior of gases?

The pressure caused by nitrogen atoms hitting a surface has a significant impact on the behavior of gases. As the pressure increases, the gas molecules become more closely packed and their movement becomes more restricted, leading to changes in temperature, volume, and other properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding pressure caused by nitrogen atoms hitting a surface?

Understanding pressure caused by nitrogen atoms hitting a surface has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, pumps, and other machinery that utilize gases. It is also important in the study of weather patterns and atmospheric conditions, as well as in the development of new technologies such as high-altitude flight and space travel.