Physics vs Engineering: What's the Difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's difficulty in choosing a field of study and their question about the differences between them. It is suggested to use the search function or consult a guidance counselor for help. However, the person is reminded to provide more information and effort in their question in order to receive helpful responses.
Tyrion101
I'm having a little trouble deciding which I want to go to school for, and my question is, what is the difference between what each does?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question has been asked hundreds of times in the forum. Please use the search function.

And if the hundreds of threads that have been posted do not address your concern, Google will lead you to plenty of websites on the subject.

If those don't help, see a guidance counselor at your university or college.

If you still can't decide, then give us more information. You haven't given us anything as to what type of job you want to do, what skills you have from secondary education, interests, reasons for choosing one over the other...you've given nothing. Since you have given nothing, you have received nothing.

If you don't put any effort into asking your question, no one will exert any effort to help you. It probably took you thirty seconds to type the 20 or so words and hit "Post". I'm not mocking you; I'm trying to help you.

If you're willing to spend 4+ years for a BS, and possibly 7+ years for a PhD in physics, it's not too much to ask you to give us more than one sentence. If it is, you're not cut out for either field, no matter how "cool" you think they are.

Related to Physics vs Engineering: What's the Difference?

1. What is the main difference between physics and engineering?

The main difference between physics and engineering is that physics is a branch of science that deals with understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the natural world, while engineering is the application of this knowledge to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can someone with a physics degree work as an engineer?

Yes, someone with a physics degree can work as an engineer. However, they may need to gain additional knowledge and skills in specific areas of engineering to be successful in the field.

3. Which field of study requires more math, physics or engineering?

Both physics and engineering require a strong foundation in mathematics. However, engineering typically involves more applied mathematics, while physics focuses more on theoretical concepts and mathematical models.

4. How do the career paths of physicists and engineers differ?

Career paths for physicists and engineers can vary, but generally physicists work in research and development, academia, or as consultants, while engineers work in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and technology.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to become an engineer?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in physics to become an engineer. However, a strong understanding of physics can be beneficial in many areas of engineering, such as design, analysis, and problem-solving.