Physiology experiment: Rats treated with ACTH and Dexamethasone

In summary, the experiment was to see the physiological role and influence of ACTH and Dexamethasone on the adrenal gland. The results showed that Dexamethasone increased the amount of cholesterol in the gland while ACTH had no effect. However, the glucose reading was unusual and they had to find a scientific paper to explain it.
Dr. Nick
Point of experiment was to see physiological role and influence of ACTH and Dexamethasone on adrenal gland via cholesterol extracted from gland. And we invested glucose level in blood after treatment.

Cholesterol results were as expected, Dex treated animals had the highest amount of cholesterol in glands, then control group, at the and ACTH group.

But we have the problem with glucose reading. DEX treated group is OK, they have higher than control glucose level.
ACTH treated should have higher glucose level in blood than control group, but they have almost the same glucose concentration.

Now my problem: we have to explain this unusual result. But we have to explain it from physiological point of view, I mean we have to give physiological reasons for this unexpected result. Even dough it was probably mistake done during experiment.

Can you help me with probable reasons for this. Professor sad that we should try to find science papers that explains this result for glucose, and than quote them in our paper. But no luck, we've found none. Please help, THANK YOU!

p.s. I was thinking that ACTH treatment was to late to induce corticosteroids release into blood or there was to little time for corticosteroids to induce glucose release into the blood. But I can't back up this idea with some science paper. We've treated them 3h before sacrifice with 6µg ACTH.

Glucose results:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8937/glucoserf4.jpg

p.s.s.:bugeye: :bugeye: you don't allow tags, strange, they are useful, and especially could be useful for biology forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Was it a single injection of ACTH or Dex that you gave? And how did you administer it? In other words, intraperitoneal, intravenous, subcutaneous, etc.?

Have you taken into account the half life of each "drug" in circulation?
Here are some references that can help with that:
Lopez FJ, Negro-Vilar A. Estimation of endogenous adrenocorticotropin half-life using pulsatility patterns: a physiological approach to the evaluation of secretory episodes. Endocrinology. 1988 Aug;123(2):740-6.

Matsuyama H, Ruhmann-Wennhold A, Johnson LR, Nelson DH. Disappearance rates of exogenous and endogenous ACTH from rat plasma measured by
bioassay and radioimmunoassay. Metabolism. 1972 Jan;21(1):30-5.

Cook DM, Greer MA, Kendall JW. The half-life of endogenous immunoreactive ACTH in rat plasma. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1972 Mar;139(3):972-4.

Also, have you thought about feedback mechanisms?

(And we don't allow img tags here because they can be easily abused, but you can upload attachments instead - those are moderated so they don't appear until approved by a mentor.)

Last edited:
1. Thank you Moonbear, thank you very much, your references helped me, especially one about adrenocorticotropin half-life (in my textbook the value is 25min, in those papers about 7minutes)

Treatment was: ACTH, 6IU (30µg) intramuscular 3h before sacrificing the animals.
Dex, administered intraperitoneal, 1mg/kg, twice, 24h and 1h before sacrificing.

Well my guesses haven't changed, I'm still thinking that time period form ACTH administration till sacrificing was too long to observe noticeable effects on blood glucose level.
And I'm thinking that maybe control group had elevated ACTH/corticosterone levels, thus higher glicemia (and masking ACTH higher glicemia), because of stress (they have spent more time in lab than other groups before sacrificing).

And I'm going crazy because all works I've found about corticosterone half/life are from 60's, or 70's, and not available, not even abstracts. Or they require subscription (money) :(:(.

Again, thank you Moonbear :)

p.s. how do you search for articles ?

What is the purpose of treating rats with ACTH and Dexamethasone in a physiology experiment?

The purpose of treating rats with ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) and Dexamethasone is to study the effects of these hormones on the rat's physiological processes. Specifically, it allows researchers to investigate the role of these hormones in regulating the body's response to stress and inflammation.

What are ACTH and Dexamethasone, and how do they affect the rats' bodies?

ACTH is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland that stimulates the production and release of cortisol from the adrenal glands. Dexamethasone is a synthetic steroid that mimics the effects of cortisol. Both hormones are involved in the body's stress response and can affect metabolism, immune function, and inflammation.

How are rats treated with ACTH and Dexamethasone in this experiment?

In this experiment, the rats are injected with either ACTH or Dexamethasone, or a combination of both. The doses and timing of the injections are carefully controlled to mimic the body's natural response to stress. The rats are also monitored for any changes in behavior or physiological functions.

What are the expected results of this experiment?

The expected results of this experiment may vary depending on the specific research question being addressed. However, some possible outcomes include changes in the rats' behavior, metabolism, immune function, and inflammation levels. These changes can provide insights into the role of ACTH and Dexamethasone in regulating these physiological processes.

Are there any ethical considerations when conducting this experiment on rats?

Yes, there are ethical considerations when conducting this experiment on rats. Researchers must follow strict guidelines and protocols to ensure the rats' welfare and minimize any potential harm or distress. This includes proper housing, handling, and use of anesthesia during injections. The experiment must also be approved by an ethics committee before it can be conducted.