Pi miscalculated or not irrational?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation and proof of pi as an irrational number, as well as the potential for miscalculation and its transcendental nature. It also mentions a demonstration of pi's irrationality and the relationship between transcendence and being non-algebraic.
Mr. X
pi miscalculated or not irrational?

I know that computers have calculated thousands of digits of pi, but does this mean that pi is an irrational number? How can we be so sure that it is irrational? And I have one more question. The circles we see in real life are not perfect circles. Does this mean that pi might have been miscalculated? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I know that computers have calculated thousands of digits of pi, but does this mean that pi is an irrational number?

No, we can calculate thousands of digits of the decimal expansion of 1/3, but that doesn't make it irrational ;)

How can we be so sure that it is irrational?

Because it was proven (way back in 1768, if my googling is correct). See http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~malek/Mathlinks/Pi.html page for a proof.

The circles we see in real life are not perfect circles. Does this mean that pi might have been miscalculated?

No, why would it mean that? I /seriously/ doubt that any of the algorithms used for calculating millions of digits of pi include any measurements of "real" circles...

You might find this page interesting. As you can see, most of those formulas are quite far removed from anything concerning circles (other than the fact that they involve pi, of course)...

Last edited by a moderator:
As Muzza said, Euler proved that pi is irrational.
It was proved to be transcendental by Lindemann in the 19th century, I believe

I didn't say that... ;) Mathworld says that it was Lambert who proved it.

It appears as if the date I gave in my last post was wrong.

A really neat demostration of the fact tha Pi is irrational can be found in Spivak's Calculus

arildno said:
It was proved to be transcendental by Lindemann in the 19th century, I believe

to be trascendental is the same thing that to be not algebraic, isn't it?

Yes. (This is just a filler to get rid of the silly "you can't post a message this short"-error).

Yes indeed.

Related to Pi miscalculated or not irrational?

1. Is Pi really a miscalculated or irrational number?

No, Pi is not miscalculated or irrational. It is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is an infinite, non-repeating decimal number, making it irrational.

2. How do we know that Pi is not a miscalculated number?

Pi has been calculated and studied by mathematicians for thousands of years and has been found to be a consistent and accurate value. Its irrationality has also been proven mathematically.

3. Can Pi ever be fully calculated?

No, it is impossible to fully calculate Pi because it is an infinite decimal. However, with the help of computers, we can calculate Pi to trillions of digits.

4. Is there a pattern or sequence to the digits of Pi?

No, the digits of Pi do not follow any recognizable pattern or sequence. It is a completely random and non-repeating number, which is what makes it irrational.

5. Why is Pi important in mathematics and science?

Pi is important because it is used in many mathematical formulas and equations, especially in geometry and trigonometry. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Its irrationality and infinite nature make it a fascinating and challenging concept to study.