Picture attatched. help find tension?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension in a string and the relevant equations needed for the solution. One person is struggling with understanding the concept and asks for help with a free body diagram. The other person emphasizes the importance of considering all forces, including friction, and requests a clear problem statement. Eventually, a free body diagram is provided.
physicsgurl12

Homework Statement

What is the tension T in the string?

Homework Equations

Is their an equation for tension. not in my book?

The Attempt at a Solution

im soo lost.

Attachments

• Tension problem.png
    Tension problem.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a Free Body Diagram

The only formula you will ever need is F = ma, and some trig skills

i think the forces are gravity, tension and frictional.

wait no there's surface

physicsgurl12 said:
i think the forces are gravity, tension and frictional.

What do you mean you "think" there is friction? That's actually important...

um because its touching the surface

physicsgurl12 said:
um because its touching the surface

Does the problem state there is friction? We don't want to add anything we don't want

it says " the coefficients of kinetic friction and static friction between the left hand box and the plane are .15 and .30"

physicsgurl12 said:
it says " the coefficients of kinetic friction and static friction between the left hand box and the plane are .15 and .30"

Wellllllllll wouldn't that be great if you told us that from the start?

You still haven't provided us a Free Body Diagram. It's good you know what forces are present, but what forces are acting on each body?

heres my force diagram.

Attachments

• force diagram.png
    force diagram.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 393

1. What is tension in a picture?

Tension in a picture refers to the feeling of stress or pressure created by contrasting elements in an image. It can be created by the use of color, composition, subject matter, or other visual elements.

2. How can I identify tension in a picture?

To identify tension in a picture, look for areas of contrast or conflicting elements. This can include opposing colors, shapes, or emotions portrayed in the image. Tension can also be created through the use of diagonal lines or negative space.

3. Why is tension important in a picture?

Tension adds interest and depth to a picture. It can evoke emotions and draw the viewer's attention to certain aspects of the image. Tension can also help tell a story or convey a message in a more impactful way.

4. How can I use tension in my own pictures?

Tension can be intentionally created in a picture by using contrasting elements or by manipulating the composition. Experiment with different colors, angles, and subjects to see how they can create tension in your images. It's also important to consider the overall message or story you want to convey through the tension in your picture.

5. Can tension be subjective in a picture?

Yes, tension can be subjective in a picture as it can be interpreted differently by different viewers. What may create tension for one person may not have the same effect on another. It's important to consider the intended audience and the context in which the picture will be viewed when using tension in an image.