PID control and block reduction

In summary, the conversation involves attempting to reduce a PID controller by using block reduction rules. The first attempt is to multiply (1/I)*(1/s) to get (1/Is), then reduce it with Kd. However, this is not correct and Mason's rule is used to obtain the transfer function for the inner loop, which is 1/(Is+Kd). This is then inserted into the outer loop and Mason's rule is used again to get the transfer function for the outer loop, which is A(s) / ( 1 + A(s)*B(s) ). The conversation ends with the conclusion that the transfer functions for the inner and outer loops have been correctly obtained.
Imagin_e
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi!

I am trying to reduce a PID controller by using block reduction rules but I am having some trouble Here is the block: https://postimg.org/image/9am5n8bsp/

My attempt:

1. Multiply (1/I)*(1/s) -> (1/Is)
2. Reduce this with Kd. Since they are parallel, I reduced it to: (1/Is)/(1+Kd*(1/s))

and it is now I'm lost. What do I do with the K (should I even use this one?) on the left side and the 1/s that is on the right side?
Should I multiply these two with (1/Is)/(1+Kd*(1/s)) since they are in series with each other? Would appreciate if someone could explain this last part. One hint is that the input signal (source) and the output signals not are included in the transfer function.Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagin_e said:
I reduced it to: (1/Is)/(1+Kd*(1/s))
That is not correct. Using Mason's rule, you will get:

(1/Is)/(1+Kd*(1/Is)) = (1/Is)/(1+Kd/Is) = (prolonge with Is)

1/(Is+Kd)

This is the transfer function for the inner loop.
Insert in the outer loop, and use Mason to reduce the outer loop.

I prefer to do these problems the long way.

Looking at the inner block with its feedback path, I'll denote its local input as ##v_a## and the output of the ##\frac 1s## block as ##v_b##.

With ##v_a## going into that round symbol (a summer?) and ##K_d\cdot\,v_b## going into an inverting port you can mark on the right of that symbol the signal there, ##viz.,\,v_a\,-\,K_d\cdot\, v_b##

Next, write the result of amplifying this by ##1\over L## to the right of that triangle amplifier symbol.

Now go on to complete the labelling of the signal on each node of that inner block.

Hesch said:
That is not correct. Using Mason's rule, you will get:

(1/Is)/(1+Kd*(1/Is)) = (1/Is)/(1+Kd/Is) = (prolonge with Is)

1/(Is+Kd)

This is the transfer function for the inner loop.
Insert in the outer loop, and use Mason to reduce the outer loop.
Okay. I followed your advice and looked it up, and then tried to draw the new diagram instead. Would you say that this one is correct now (Never mind that they have the same name, G. We can call the left blocks for K, but you're probably following)? If yes, then I know how to continue. https://postimg.org/image/hhx4x0ba1/ Thanks for taking your time!

Imagin_e said:
Would you say that this one is correct now
Yes, as for the substitution of the inner loop.

The upper left "G" = K
The upper right "G" = 1/s
The feed back ( bottom path ) is simply = 1.

Using Mason again, the feed forward must be

A(s) = K*(1/(I*s+Kd))/s = K / ( I*s2 + Kd*s )

and the feed back

B(s) = 1

The transfer function for the outer loop is (Mason)

out(s)/in(s) = A(s) / ( 1 + A(s)*B(s) )

( Prolonge the fraction by ( I*s2 + Kd*s ) / ( I*s2 + Kd*s ) )

Last edited:
Hesch said:
Yes, as for the substitution of the inner loop.

The upper left "G" = K
The upper right "G" = 1/s
The feed back ( bottom path ) is simply = 1.

Using Mason again, the feed forward must be

A(s) = K*(1/(I*s+Kd))/s = K / ( I*s2 + Kd*s )

and the feed back

B(s) = 1

The transfer function for the outer loop is (Mason)

out(s)/in(s) = A(s) / ( 1 + A(s)*B(s) )

( Prolonge the fraction by ( I*s2 + Kd*s ) / ( I*s2 + Kd*s ) )

Thanks for the help!

1. What is PID control and how does it work?

PID control (Proportional-Integral-Derivative control) is a feedback control system that calculates and adjusts a control variable based on the difference between a desired setpoint and the actual output of a system. It uses three components - proportional, integral, and derivative - to continuously adjust the control variable and minimize the error between the setpoint and the output.

2. What are the benefits of using PID control?

PID control is widely used in industrial processes because it offers several benefits. It provides precise control over a wide range of operating conditions, is relatively simple to implement, and can handle nonlinearities in a system. It also responds quickly to changes in the setpoint and disturbances in the system, making it a versatile and effective control method.

3. How is block reduction used in PID control?

Block reduction is a technique used to simplify complex control systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable blocks. In PID control, block reduction can be used to reduce the number of components in the control loop, making it easier to analyze and tune the control system. This can lead to improved performance and stability of the system.

4. What are some common applications of PID control and block reduction?

PID control and block reduction are used in a wide range of industries and applications, such as temperature control in HVAC systems, speed control in motors and drives, and pressure control in chemical processes. They are also commonly used in robotics, manufacturing, and automotive industries to improve the efficiency and accuracy of control systems.

5. How can I tune a PID controller for optimal performance?

Tuning a PID controller involves adjusting the three components - proportional, integral, and derivative - to achieve the desired response from the control system. This can be done through manual tuning, where the controller is adjusted based on trial and error, or through automated methods using software or specialized tuning tools. It is important to consider the characteristics of the system and the desired performance criteria when tuning a PID controller for optimal performance.