1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PID dosen't have to contain 1?

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    Not all PIDs have to contain the multiplicative inverse?

If that is the case then the principle ideal <a> will not contain 'a' in it. I find that strange. But that is still possible isn't it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1 is the multiplicative identity.

It's principal, not principle.

In an algebra A without 1, <a> is, by definition, the smallest ideal of A containing a. So <a> has to contain a.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  4. Mar 31, 2007 #3
    Actually all PID lie in an integral domain which by definition must contain 1.

Are you suggesting that in non Integral domains, single ideals like <a> cannot exist?

5. Mar 31, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "lie in"?

Every PID is an integral domain. And there is a simpler reason why it contains 1: because it's a ring.

No...

<a> exists because there is at least one ideal containing a, and the intersection of all such ideals is an ideal containing a. (And thus the smallest such ideal)

Hrm -- it's theorem that in a commutative ring (which does have 1), <a> is actually the set of all multiples of a. But that theorem doesn't hold for algebras without 1. (I don't remember if there are any complications for noncommutative rings)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  6. Mar 31, 2007 #5
    From all the axioms I have seen, a ring dosen't have to include a multiplicative identity. In a ring R without 1 then <a> will not include 'a' will it? With a in R.

7. Mar 31, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most people *require* rings to have a unit. They use rng for a ring without I. How do you define <a>? That is entirely what matters. Even if you define it to be the set of things of the form xa for x in R, then it is prefectly possible that there is an x with xa=a, and for R to have no multiplicative identity. EG, take R any ring without unit, and a any idempotent (something that satisfies a^2=a). An important example of a ring without unit is the set of NxN matrices (here N means the cardinality of the natural numbers) over C the complex numbers, say, with finite trace. There are infinitely many idempotents in that ring.

So, the answer is, I suspect. <a> may or may not contain a. If R has an identity it certainly doesn't and R does not then you cannot say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?