Pin Connection with one support reaction?

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

The link is not working. I can't access your diagram.

It is working for me. Do you have a pop-up blocker on? The link pops up in a new tab for me( runnning Firefox).

If that wont work, right click on the image and select copy image location and paste that in to your browser.

Sorry, there's no response from the site whatever method I use.

I'm outside the USA, maybe that's it.

OK, I got the pic. There's only one member connected to G, so only one reaction, but two on A. Is that what's troubling you ?

Yes, so if there is only one member connectecd then only one reaction is needed? I thought that pin connection always had two reactions regardless of the members.

BTW thank you.

Last edited:
In a statics problem, one resolves the forces at each node with the constraint that the total is zero because nothing is moving.

At A there are two forces to be resolved into the horizontal reaction, at G there's only one.

I don't see what is causing you a problem. Am I missing something.

No, I was missing something. You cleared it up for me :O

No, I was missing something. You cleared it up for me :O
i m not still clear plz help me out. Both A and G are pin connected then why there is one support reaction at G and two at A

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
i m not still clear plz help me out. Both A and G are pin connected then why there is one support reaction at G and two at A
Members subject to forces at their hinges only (a force at each end, with no forces in between the ends) are known, appropriately, as "two-force" members, and in order for the member to be in equilibrium, the forces acting on the member at each end must be equal and opposite and co-linear, acting along the longitudinal 'axial' axis of the member. Since the sole member at G is horizontal, the force acting on it at the pin, G, must be horizontal, with no vertical component.

Members subject to forces at their hinges only (a force at each end, with no forces in between the ends) are known, appropriately, as "two-force" members, and in order for the member to be in equilibrium, the forces acting on the member at each end must be equal and opposite and co-linear, acting along the longitudinal 'axial' axis of the member. Since the sole member at G is horizontal, the force acting on it at the pin, G, must be horizontal, with no vertical component.
Thanks alot i got it :)