Piston problem including force and work

In summary, the problem given is to find the work done by a gas in a cylinder with a cross-sectional area of 0.02 m^2, when the gas exerts a constant pressure of 7.8x10^5 Pa on the piston, moving it a distance of 0.06 m. The equation Pressure*Area=Force was used to find the force, which was then plugged into the equation Force*distance=Work. The answer choices are A. 6.5*10^2 J, B. 9.4*10^2 J, C. 6.5*10^8 J, and D. 9.4*10^8 J. The correct answer
jessiemay1993
The problem given says: A cylinder has a cross-sectional area of 0.02 m^2. How much work is done by a gas in the cylinder if the gas exerts a constant pressure of 7.8x10^5 Pa on the piston, moving it a distance of 0.06 m?

I figured I needed to find the work, but I didn't have the force.

So I tried the equation Pressure*Area=Force

Then to get work, I used the equation Force*distance=Work

For the force, I got 15600. I then plugged that into the second formula as force and got 936. I have a really strong feeling it's not correct. My answer choices are as followed: A. 6.5*10^2 J B. 9.4*10^2 J C. 6.5*10^8 J and D. 9.4*10^8 J

I'm really confused on this and would really appreciate the help. My teacher doesn't really teach us what we need to know. Just throws it up on the board, briefly talks about it and expects us to learn from that. So would someone also help me understand Thermodynamics? It would be greatly appreciated :]

Thank you in advance,
Jessica

Physics news on Phys.org
Change you answer to scientific notation or the 4 choices to standard notation.

A. 6.5×102 J B. 9.4×102 J C. 6.5×108 J and D. 9.4×108 J

Your answer is very close to one of them.

Wow! Thank you so much :]

Also: d(Work) = pressure*d(volume) ;)

gomunkul51 said:
Also: d(Work) = pressure*d(volume) ;)

What? Now I'm super confused o_O

jessiemay1993 said:
What? Now I'm super confused o_O
Don't be confused. It just arithmetic:

[tex]W = F \times \Delta d = (P \times A) \times \Delta d = P \times (A \times \Delta d) = P \times (\Delta V)[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta V[/itex] is the change in volume of the gas.

AM

@jessiemay1993: if you want to be confused, take Engineering Thermodynamics ;)

Andrew Mason <--- what he said ;)

what answer you got was with the assumption that the pressure remains constant. but actually it does not as the pressure and volume are inter related. but since you have no initial value of he volume the assumption may be correct.

what equation gomunkul51 has written is the same as yours when keeping pressure constant. its just written in a different way. so no need to be confused

Related to Piston problem including force and work

1. What is a piston?

A piston is a component of an engine that moves up and down inside a cylinder, creating a force that is converted into motion.

2. How does a piston work?

A piston works by harnessing the energy from a fuel-air mixture being ignited in the combustion chamber. This explosion creates a force that pushes the piston down, converting chemical energy into mechanical energy.

3. What is the relationship between force and a piston?

The force applied to a piston is directly related to its area and the pressure exerted on it. The greater the area and pressure, the greater the force applied to the piston.

4. How does a piston's movement affect work?

A piston's movement creates work as it pushes against a load, such as the weight of a vehicle or the resistance of a machine. This work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance the piston travels.

5. What are some factors that can affect the force and work of a piston?

The force and work of a piston can be affected by factors such as the size and design of the engine, the type of fuel used, and the speed at which the piston moves. Other factors include the condition of the engine and any external forces acting on the piston, such as friction or air resistance.