1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck's constant

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    According to quantum mechanics the energy of radiation is equal to multiple Planck's constant : E = h * v, where "v" is the radiation frequency.

Since there is no limit to frequency, what is the energy of radiation of frequency 1/2 Hz?

S.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2
    h/2 J.101010

4. Sep 12, 2006 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Where h is expressed in SI units; Planck's constant has dimensions [tex]ML^2T^{-1}[/tex], so that would be [tex]Kg m^2 sec^{-1}[/tex].

5. Sep 14, 2006 #4
    Thank you. I thought before that the energy must be procuct of integer number of 'h'.

6. Sep 14, 2006 #5
    Energy is emitted or absorbed in integer multiples of [tex]h\nu[/tex].

7. Sep 26, 2006 #6
    If this is true, than the oscillator working on the frequency ½ Hz can’t emit the radiation. Or am I wrong?

8. Sep 26, 2006 #7
    n*h*(nu)...it's the 'n' that's restricted to integers, not nu.

9. Nov 11, 2006 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you look at those units for h, [tex]ML^2T^{-1}[/tex], you see that it does not represent a quantum of energy, but of action. This is why energy can increase or decrease by continuous amounts, it is only the action, e dt, that is quantized.

10. Nov 12, 2006 #9
    if we assume photon can have the largest wavelength of the size of the universe and assume universe is 10^26m

by forumla c=lamb*nu

you can compute smallest nu and energy E=H*nu

: Photon is an energy emitted from internal atom/molecule transitions. There is no other way i know of photon can be created.

11. Nov 13, 2006 #10

What about electron/positron pair annihilation, this creates gamma rays.

12. Nov 13, 2006 #11
    "What about electron/positron pair annihilation, this creates gamma rays"

Very good. I forgot about this.

13. Jan 25, 2007 #12
    I thought any change of charged particle trajectory should generate photon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?