1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane EM wave in a vacuum, quick identity question

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    Okay the question is, given a plane electromagnetic wave in a vacuum given by E=(Ex,Ey,Ez)exp[itex]^{(i(k_{x}x+k_{y}y+k_{z}z-wt)}[/itex] and B=(Bx,By,Bz)exp[itex]^{(i(k_{x}x+k_{y}y+k_{z}z-wt)}[/itex] ,
    where k = (kx,ky,kz),
    to show that kXE=wB.

So I'm mainly fine with the method. I can see the maxwell's equaion ∇XE=-dB/dt, is the equation required.
    -dB/dt=iwB.
    And using ∇XE=ikXE, [1], the result follows.
    My question is identifying equation [1]. How do you deduce this? Is it supposed to be obvious in any way. (I've done a check on the LHS and RHS so I can see its true), but should this be obvious?

Thanks in advance for your assistance .

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Deduce, deduce? How would you write out ∇xE if ∇= ##( {d\over dx}, {d\over dy}, {d\over dz}) ## and ##\vec E = \Bigl( E_x \exp ({i(k_{x}x+k_{y}y+k_{z}z-wt)}) , E_y \exp(i(k_{x}x+k_{y}y+k_{z}z-wt)) , E_y \exp(i(k_{x}x+k_{y}y+k_{z}z-wt))\Bigr)## where ##\vec E =(E_x, E_y, E_z)## is a constant vector.
    You don't even have to carry out the cross product. Only the diferentiation.

4. Feb 23, 2014 #3
    I'm not seeing it to be honest. I'm writing out ∇xE in determinant form.

5. Feb 23, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Determinant form has $$\left \vert \matrix{\hat \imath&\hat \jmath&\hat k\cr {d\over dx}&{d\over dy}&{d\over dz}\cr E_x &E_y &E_z }\right \vert $$ if I remember well.
    Write out e.g the x component and compare with the x-component of ##\vec k\times\vec E##, etc.

6. Feb 28, 2014 #5
    In the bottom line of my first post - I've done this. But it's still not obvious to me until I do this?

7. Feb 28, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, I see. You did it, you see it's correct by inspection, but apparently you need something more to be really convinced ?

Looks to me as if you are interpreting "required" somewhat unusual.

My interpretation of the exercise is more like: here we have an expression for ##\vec E(\vec x,t)## and ##\vec B(\vec x,t)## that we propose as a solution for Faraday's law (i.e. one of the Maxwell equations). And you are asked to make a few steps towards confirming it satisfies this equation -- under certain conditions for (Ex,Ey,Ez), (Bx,By,Bz), ##\vec k## and ##\omega##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted