Plano-convex lens, which side should face the laser source

In summary, the conversation discusses two measurement cases involving a diverging laser beam and a plano-convex lens. The speaker is uncertain about which side of the lens should face the laser in these cases and asks if the same principle applies for diverging beams as with plano-concave lenses. Their goal is to image the source onto a camera, and they request a visual representation of the setup. It is recommended to have the plano side of the lens facing the camera, but this may depend on the specific distances involved.
nordmoon
I have two measurement cases in my setup. An divergating laser beam (not an gaussian) is measured at two locations from lens , at nearby i.e. 400 mm, and far away, > 2000 mm away. My lens is an plano-convex lens.

Which side should face the laser in these two cases?

I know that the plano-concave lenses, with the curved side to the laser source removes spherical aberrations,. is this also true for a divergaing beams?

My goal is to image the source onto a camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

1. What is a plano-convex lens?

A plano-convex lens is a type of lens that has one flat surface and one curved surface, with the curved surface being convex (bulging outwards). It is commonly used in optical systems to focus or collimate light.

2. Why is it important to know which side of a plano-convex lens should face the laser source?

The side of a plano-convex lens that faces the laser source is crucial because it determines the direction and quality of the light that passes through the lens. If the wrong side is facing the laser source, it can result in a distorted or defocused beam.

3. How do I determine which side of a plano-convex lens should face the laser source?

The curved surface of a plano-convex lens should always face the laser source. This is because the curved surface is designed to refract the light and bring it to a single focal point, creating a focused beam. The flat surface is meant to be facing away from the source.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of which side of a plano-convex lens should face the laser source?

In general, the curved side of a plano-convex lens should always face the laser source. However, there are some special cases where the lens may need to be reversed, such as when using it in a beam expander or in certain optical systems where the light needs to be collimated rather than focused.

5. What are the consequences of using a plano-convex lens with the wrong side facing the laser source?

If the flat side of a plano-convex lens is facing the laser source, the beam will not be properly focused or collimated, resulting in a distorted or weak beam. This can also cause the lens to overheat and potentially damage it. Therefore, it is important to always ensure that the correct side is facing the laser source to achieve the desired results and protect the lens.