Plano convex lenses and focal length

It may be that a source uses a different convention or different sign convention. If you know what should happen in a simple case, you can figure out what they're doing and adjust accordingly.In summary, when considering the orientation of a plan convex lens, it does not affect its focal length. However, flipping the lens can affect aberrations and it is important to be careful with sign conventions in optics. It is recommended to keep a simple case in mind and adjust accordingly for different conventions.
physics user1
Does the orientation of a plan convex lens affect it's focal lenght?
If I put il like in the first example in the photo and makeep the calculation using the lens maker equation I get f positive
What happens if I turn the curved face on the right?
Using the lens maker equation now the radius is negative so the focal length should be -f...

Is that Right?

Science news on Phys.org
Cozma Alex said:
Does the orientation of a plan convex lens affect it's focal lenght?

It does not.

Cozma Alex said:
If I put il like in the first example in the photo and makeep the calculation using the lens maker equation I get f positive
What happens if I turn the curved face on the right?
Using the lens maker equation now the radius is negative so the focal length should be -f...

That not correct. The lens maker equation has two terms in it that matter here: ##\frac{1}{R1}-\frac{1}{R2}##
If you flip your lens around, the sign of the radii of curvatures change, but then surface 1 becomes surface 2 and vice versa. If R1 is initially 100 and R2 is ∞, then ##\frac{1}{100}-\frac{1}{∞} = 0.01 - 0 = 0.01##

Flip the lens around and you get: ##\frac{1}{∞}-\frac{1}{-100} = 0 - (-0.01) = 0.01##

Likes physics user1
Clearly not. Imagine a symmetric biconvex lens - that would have zero power if you were correct.

You need to be careful with sign conventions in optics. If you are switching signs on your radius of curvature when you switch sides then the relevant formula uses ##(1/r_1-1/r_2)## so you get the same overall sign. Sometimes you see the convention that all convex curves are positive, but that would give ##(1/r_1+1/r_2)##.

Edit: It does affect aberration. Best to put the curved face on the side where the rays are nearer parallel.

Likes physics user1
Thank you guys I got it now

But, how do I choose surface one and 2?

Surface 1 has the lower x coordinate of you're using the ##(1/r_1-1/r_2)## form. It doesn't matter if you're using the other form.

Keep in mind a simple case, such as a biconvex lens. You know that f is positive. That let's you make a workable choice for convention: both positive and use ##(1/r_1+1/r_2)##, or surface 1 positive and 2 negative and use ##(1/r_1-1/r_2)##. Then you can flip signs as appropriate for the surfaces of the lens you actually have.

Likes physics user1
Correct? The surface 1 is then the firSt thwt the light hits

Attachments

• 14907101168661834933205.jpg
    14907101168661834933205.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 769
It's all just convention. Usually light rays enter the system from the left, moving to the right, which is the +x direction. And curvatures are defined as positive if the inside of the curve is on the +x side of the surface. And ##r_1## would be the radius of the first surface. In that case, yes you are right.

But I advise you to keep a simple case (e.g. a symmetric biconvex lens) in mind and figure out the signs as you go. With the symmetric biconvex lens you know that the two ##1/r## terms must end up with positive signs somehow (either because the radii have opposite signs and the two terms do too or because the two terms have the same sign and so do the radii) because otherwise the power is zero.

Then you won't be fooled by people picking different conventions.

1. What is a plano convex lens?

A plano convex lens is a type of lens that has one flat surface and one convex surface. It is commonly used in optical instruments to focus light.

2. How is the focal length of a plano convex lens determined?

The focal length of a plano convex lens is determined by the curvature of the convex surface and the refractive index of the material it is made of. It is the distance between the lens and the point where parallel rays of light converge after passing through the lens.

3. What is the difference between the focal length of a convex lens and a concave lens?

The focal length of a convex lens is positive, meaning that the point of convergence is in front of the lens. On the other hand, the focal length of a concave lens is negative, meaning that the point of convergence is behind the lens.

4. Can the focal length of a plano convex lens be changed?

Yes, the focal length of a plano convex lens can be changed by changing the curvature of the convex surface or the refractive index of the material it is made of. This can be done by using different materials or shaping the lens differently.

5. What are some common applications of plano convex lenses?

Plano convex lenses are commonly used in telescopes, microscopes, cameras, projectors, and other optical instruments. They are also used in laser systems, medical devices, and automotive headlights.