Plasma physics - relativistic derivation

In summary, the conversation is about trying to work through a paper and deriving equations 2.2 to 2.4. The person is not familiar with the notation and is having trouble getting the integral of the <> brackets. They are seeking help with the math and provide some equations and symbols for reference. It takes the person 2 hours to type everything and they are still struggling with the problem.
SMannion
Hello,

I am trying to work through attached paper, deriving from equation 2.2 to 2.4. I am not familiar with the notation. If I try and get the integral of inside the <> brackets, I end up with a different eqn 2.4.
I need some maths help here :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sinéadhttp://www.jetp.ac.ru/cgi-bin/dn/e_049_03_0483.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
SMannion said:
If I try and get the integral of inside the <> brackets, I end up with a different eqn 2.4.

What do you get?

And how did you get it? If you show your working, someone may be able to point out any mistakes.

Note that you can write equations using LaTeX, according to https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/ .

We start from the dispersion equation for the longitudinal oscillations

$$\epsilon(\omega,k)=0 (2.1)$$
with the following expression for the permittivity

$$\epsilon(\omega,k)=1-\omega_p^2\langle \gamma^{-3} (\omega-kv)^{-2}\rangle (2.2)$$

It is assumed that the perturbations depend on the coordinates and on the time like ##exp(-iwt + ikz)##.
The direction z is arbitrary in the absence of a magnetic field, and coincides with the direction of the intensity vector
of this field if such a field is present in the plasma.
The symbol <> denotes averaging over the particle momenta, ##<(. . . )> = \int f_0(p )(. . . )dp/n, n = \int f_0,(p)dp## is the plasma density, ##f_0(p)## is the equilibrium particle momentum distribution function (one/dimensional), ##\gamma = (1 +p^2/m^2c^2)^{1/2} ## is the relativistic factor, ##v = c(1 +m^2c^2/p^2)^{-1/2} ## is the particle velocity, m is its mass, ## \omega_p^2: = 4\pi e^2n/m ## is the square of the plasma frequency, and e is the particle
charge.
We confine ourselves to a one-dimensional particle distribution in momentum (the case of greatest interest
for applications to the pulsar problem). We find with the aid of (2.1) and (2.2) that the longitudinal oscillations have a phase velocity equal to that of light, ## \omega/k= c## at ##k = k_0##, where ##k_0##, is defined by the relation ##k_0^2= 2\omega_p^2 <\gamma>/c^2##. In this case ##\omega = \omega_0=ck_0##,. Using this result, we can obtain by successive approximations(cf. Refs. 6 and 7) a solution of (2.1) with wave numbers close to ##k_0##. Assuming ##k+ k_0+\Delta k, \omega =\omega_0+\Delta \omega,## where ##\Delta k## and ##\Delta \omega## are small quantities, and taking into account
the result of the zeroth approximation ##\epsilon(\omega,k)=0## we obtain in the first approximation
$$\Delta \omega = -\bigg ( \frac{\frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial k}}{\frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial \omega}}\bigg)_0 \Delta k (2.3)$$
The zero subscript in the right/hand side of this equation means that the corresponding derivatives are taken at ##k = k_0, \omega = \omega_0##. In this case

$$\bigg(\frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial \omega} \bigg)_0=\frac{2\omega_p^2}{k_0^3 c^3}\bigg\langle \gamma^{3} \bigg(1+\frac{v}{c}\bigg)\bigg \rangle^3, \bigg(\frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial k} \bigg)_0=-c(1-\alpha)\bigg(\frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial \omega} \bigg)_0, \alpha=\bigg\langle \gamma \bigg(1+\frac{v}{c}\bigg)^2\bigg \rangle \bigg/ \bigg\langle \gamma^{3} \bigg(1+\frac{v}{c}\bigg)\bigg \rangle^3$$Phew that took 2 hours to type!
I took the ##\partial \epsilon / \partial \omega## to start with, I think I'm missing something with the <>. The ##\bigg(\frac{\partial \epsilon}{\partial \omega} \bigg)_0=...\bigg\langle \gamma^{3} \bigg(1+\frac{v}{c}\bigg)\bigg \rangle^3 ## is not inverted in my case. Please any help would be much appreciated...

Likes berkeman

1. What is plasma physics?

Plasma physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of plasmas, which are ionized gases consisting of free electrons and positive ions.

2. What is relativistic derivation in plasma physics?

Relativistic derivation in plasma physics involves using the principles of special relativity to describe the behavior and interactions of particles in a plasma at high speeds and energies.

3. What are the applications of plasma physics?

Plasma physics has a wide range of applications, including fusion energy research, space and astrophysics, materials processing, and plasma-based technologies such as plasma TVs and plasma thrusters for spacecraft propulsion.

4. What is the importance of studying relativistic effects in plasma physics?

Relativistic effects can significantly impact the behavior of particles in a plasma, especially at high energies. Understanding these effects is crucial for accurate modeling and prediction of plasma behavior in various applications.

5. What are some key concepts in relativistic derivation in plasma physics?

Some key concepts in relativistic derivation include the Lorentz transformation, relativistic momentum and energy, and the relativistic equations of motion for charged particles in an electromagnetic field.