Please check Laguerre's eqtn solution

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
In summary, the Sturm-Liouville theory is incorrect because Laguerre's equation is not self-adjoint. The weighting factor is w(x) = e^{-x}
ognik
Hi - revising Sturm-Liouville theory and would appreciate someone checking & correcting/improving the following.

Given Laguerre's eqtn $xy''+(1-x)y'+\lambda y = 0 $, which is not self-adjoint, find the weighting factor w(x).

If I didn't know the integrating factor, would one be $ \mu(x) = \frac{1}{x} e^{\int\frac{1-x}{x}dx} = \frac{1}{x}\left( x-e^{x} \right)$? As it is I know $\mu(x) = e^{-x}$ works well.

Then $ e^{-x} xy''+ e^{-x} (1-x)y'+ e^{-x} \lambda y = 0 $ and I verify this is self-adjoint by showing $p'_0$ = $p_1$

Then by comparison with the Sturm-Liouville problem $ \mathcal{L}y + \lambda W(x)y = 0 $, I can write:
$q(x) = 0$
$\lambda$ is the eigenvalue and y(x) is the corresponding eigenfunction
and $w(x) = e^{-x}$

Anything I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi - the reason I ask questions like this is that over this year some things I thought were right have been - to some degree - wrong or incomplete or just using incorrect notation. So if I have this correct I would really appreciate a short confirmation; but am also interested in my 1st question about the Integration Factor - it would seem there can be more than 1 I/F ?
Thanks.

ognik said:
. . . $ \mu(x) = \frac{1}{x} e^{\int\frac{1-x}{x}dx} = \frac{1}{x}\left( x-e^{x} \right)$?
You might want to check what you did after you integrated.

Sorry, this was ambiguous. After I integrated I didn't use the IF that I had found, because I had used an IF of $e^{-x}$ in a different Laguerre's eqtn problem and it looked easier to work with than the IF I found by integrating.

I just want to confirm that there can be multiple different IFs for a function - i.e. integrating is just one method to find 1 possibility?

Secondly, using the easier IF of $e^{-x}$, I just wanted to check that I had applied the S-L theory correctly (book doesn't give the answer)

Thanks

What I'm saying is that after your integration, your simplifaction is incorrect.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{e^{\int\frac{1-x}{x}dx}}{x} = \dfrac{e^{ln x - x}}{x} = \dfrac{x e^{-x}}{x} = e^{-x}\)

(I've also be a little relaxed with absolutes).

Oops misunderstood, you're of course right. So is there then only 1 IF that will make a function self-adjoint?

And please check that the rest of what I did is correct?

1. What is Laguerre's equation?

Laguerre's equation is a second-order differential equation that is used to solve problems in quantum mechanics, heat transfer, and other areas of physics. It is named after the French mathematician Edmond Laguerre.

2. What is the solution to Laguerre's equation?

The solution to Laguerre's equation is a set of functions known as Laguerre polynomials. These polynomials have many important properties and are used to solve various mathematical and scientific problems.

3. How do I check the solution to Laguerre's equation?

To check the solution to Laguerre's equation, you can plug the solution (Laguerre polynomials) into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare the solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to verify the solution.

4. What are the applications of Laguerre's equation?

Laguerre's equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems in quantum mechanics, heat transfer, and other areas of physics. It is also used in probability theory, statistics, and numerical analysis.

5. Is there a general method for solving Laguerre's equation?

Yes, there is a general method for solving Laguerre's equation. It involves transforming the equation into a standard form and then using various techniques such as power series, Frobenius method, or numerical methods to find the solution. However, the specific method used may depend on the specific form of Laguerre's equation and the problem being solved.