1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please check my proof of sum of n choose k = 2^n

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (here (n,k) reads n choose k)(and again, please excuse that i don't use latex)
    claim: (n,0) + (n,1) + (n,2) + ... (n,n) = 2n

2. Relevant equations

binomial theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    proof: sum(k=0 to n of (n,k)) = sum(k=0 to n of (n,k))*1k*1n-k.
    by the binomial theorem, (x + y)n = sum(k=0 to n of (n,k))*xkyn-k, so letting x, y = 1, then (1 + 1)n = 2n = sum(k=0 to n of (n,k))*1k*1n-k = sum(k=0 to n of (n,k)).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Looks correct, I see nothing wrong with it. (assuming you weren't given a set method such as mathematical induction to use)

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    no. but looking back on it, should i have been a little more rigorous? like being explicitly clear that for the binomial theorem, n has to be a positive integer. it's kind of implied, i guess.

5. Jun 19, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The actual proof itself looks valid, you can state the conditions before it though.

6. Jun 19, 2010 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The theorem in fact remains true for any complex number n if you use generalized binomial coefficients and binomial series. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_series

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook