Proving Statements: Square Roots, Even Numbers, and Multiples of 6

• Thread starter setvectorgroup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, Homework Statement states that if sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) > 1, then sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) is a multiple of 1. Contradiction states that not P->Q(false) and not Q->P(true) which leads to the contradiction that sqrt(6)-sqrt(2) ≤ 1. I negated the false statement that 2sqrt(12) ≤ 3 to prove that sqrt(6)-sqrt(2) > 1. Finally, b) states that n^2 - > n= 2m is false if not P is assumed. If not P is assumed then n^2 can be assumed to be
setvectorgroup

Homework Statement

Write down careful proofs of the following statements:

a) sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) > 1

b) If n is an integer such that n^2 is even, then n is even.

c) If n= m^3- m for some integer m, then n is a multiple of 6

The Attempt at a Solution

I will rely on P - > Q and not Q - > not P to try and prove the above statements.

a) I think I can't use direct proof (P - > Q) here, because no matter how true Q is, it won't say anything important about P which is the statement sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) > 1. Instead, I will use contradiction.

Contradiction: not P - > Q(false), not Q - > P

sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) ≤ 1

6- sqrt(24) + 2 ≤ 1

2sqrt(12) ≤ 3 (false statement). Negating this statement makes sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) > 1 true.

b) n^2 - > n= 2m

If we assume not P, then n^2 can be assumed to be odd: (1+ 2m)^2= 1+ 4m+ 4m^2= 1+ 4(m+m^2) which is false because we are given that n^2 is even.

From here it's obvious that n should be even to avoid contradiction.

c) not P: 1+ 6m = m^3- m where n is not a multiple of 6.

1+ 6m = m^3- m

0= m^3- 7m -1 ( I will assume that this result is false because solving for x introduces imaginary numbers which I am not sure if I am allowed to work with).

Obviously, n is a multiple of 6.

Correct/Wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
setvectorgroup said:

Homework Statement

Write down careful proofs of the following statements:

a) sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) > 1

b) If n is an integer such that n^2 is even, then n is even.

c) If n= m^3- m for some integer m, then n is a multiple of 6

The Attempt at a Solution

I will rely on P - > Q and not Q - > not P to try and prove the above statements.

a) I think I can't use direct proof (P - > Q) here, because no matter how true Q is, it won't say anything important about P which is the statement sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) > 1. Instead, I will use contradiction.

Contradiction: not P - > Q(false), not Q - > P

sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) ≤ 1

6- sqrt(24) + 2 ≤ 1
You have a mistake above. (√6 - √2)2 = 6 - 2√12 + 2
2√12 ≠ √24
setvectorgroup said:
2sqrt(12) ≤ 3 (false statement). Negating this statement makes sqrt(6)- sqrt(2) > 1 true.

b) n^2 - > n= 2m
It would be helpful if you included all the information.

n2 is even ##\Rightarrow## n is even
setvectorgroup said:
If we assume not P, then n^2 can be assumed to be odd: (1+ 2m)^2= 1+ 4m+ 4m^2= 1+ 4(m+m^2) which is false because we are given that n^2 is even.

From here it's obvious that n should be even to avoid contradiction.

c) not P: 1+ 6m = m^3- m where n is not a multiple of 6.

1+ 6m = m^3- m

0= m^3- 7m -1 ( I will assume that this result is false because solving for x introduces imaginary numbers which I am not sure if I am allowed to work with).

Obviously, n is a multiple of 6.

Correct/Wrong?

Mark44, thank You for answering.

Mark44 said:
You have a mistake above. (√6 - √2)2 = 6 - 2√12 + 2

2√12 ≠ √24

2*√6*√2 = √24? I think I forgot about this rule. Could you, please, tell me what rule that was?
Mark44 said:
It would be helpful if you included all the information.

n2 is even ##\Rightarrow## n is even

Can I use n^2 is even - > n = 2m, where m is any integer?

As for c) not P: 1+ 6m = m^3- m where n is not a multiple of 6.

To force n to be a non-multiple of 6, we can divide n by 6 such that it yields remainder of 1 or 2. Then n= 1+6m is the non-multiple of 6.

Oh, I see about 2√12 ≠ √24.

First I wrote √24, then 2√12. It should be 2√12.

setvectorgroup said:
Mark44, thank You for answering.

2*√6*√2 = √24? I think I forgot about this rule. Could you, please, tell me what rule that was?

Can I use n^2 is even - > n = 2m, where m is any integer?
Where m is some integer.
setvectorgroup said:
As for c) not P: 1+ 6m = m^3- m where n is not a multiple of 6.
It's much simpler to prove this statement directly.
Given: n = m3 - m

Factor the cubic expression and proceed from there.
setvectorgroup said:
To force n to be a non-multiple of 6, we can divide n by 6 such that it yields remainder of 1 or 2. Then n= 1+6m is the non-multiple of 6.

Mark44 said:
Where m is some integer.
It's much simpler to prove this statement directly.
Given: n = m3 - m

Factor the cubic expression and proceed from there.

Thank You.

Before I attempt the direct proof I'd like to know if what I wrote in c) passable as a proof, at least, conceptually? I mean is it correct, but ugly or incorrect and ugly? :smile:

For c, I don't think what you had is correct.

P: n= m3- m for some integer m
Q: n is a multiple of 6

~P: ##\forall n##, n ≠ m3- m

If you're intending to prove the contrapositive, then you need to show that ~Q ##\Rightarrow## ~P

If you're doing a proof by contradiction, then show that P ^ ~Q leads to a contradiction. I don't see that you did either of those.

I think what I did above looks a mess. I'd like to redo all that.

Prove: If n is an integer such that n2 is even, then n is even.

1. Will this fly:

Givens: n^2 is even (P)

Goal: P- > Q

I want to use the fact that not Q - > not P to get P - > Q

New Given: not Q

New Goal: not P

Suppose that n = 2m + 1 is odd( not Q). Then n^2 = (2m + 1)^2 = 4m^2 + 4m + 1 = 1 + 4(m^2 + m) (not P). Therefore P - > Q and if n is an integer such that n2 is even, then n is even

?

2. If the above is right, how can I better re-wright the bold part?

3. Is the above a proof by contrapositive or contradiction? What's the difference between the two?

4. I tried to do this differently, but got stuck:

Givens: n^2 is even ( P)

Goal: P - > Q

How can I modify n^2 directly so that it yields an even n? Also, if I could do that, would that be considered a direct proof?

Thanks.

setvectorgroup said:
I think what I did above looks a mess. I'd like to redo all that.

Prove: If n is an integer such that n2 is even, then n is even.

1. Will this fly:

Givens: n^2 is even (P)

Goal: P- > Q

I want to use the fact that not Q - > not P to get P - > Q

New Given: not Q

New Goal: not P

Suppose that n = 2m + 1 is odd( not Q). Then n^2 = (2m + 1)^2 = 4m^2 + 4m + 1 = 1 + 4(m^2 + m) (not P). Therefore P - > Q and if n is an integer such that n2 is even, then n is even

?
This is correct, but not well organized. You can omit all of the P and Q stuff, and focus on the statements that are involved.
I would organize things like this:

Prove: For an integer n, if n2 is even, then n is even.

Proof by contrapositive:
Suppose n is odd.
Then n = 2m + 1 for some integer m.
n2 = (2m + 1)2 = 4m2 + 4m + 1 = 2(2m2 + 2m) + 1, which is clearly an even integer.
∴ n is an odd integer ##\Rightarrow## n2 is an odd integer.
Since the contrapositive is equivalent to the original proposition, the original proposition is proved.

setvectorgroup said:
2. If the above is right, how can I better re-wright the bold part?
You mean "rewrite the bold part."
setvectorgroup said:
3. Is the above a proof by contrapositive or contradiction? What's the difference between the two?
Contrapositive.
If the original proposition is P ##\Rightarrow## Q, its contrapositive is ~Q ##\Rightarrow## ~P.

In a proof by contradiction, which is different, you are starting with the assumption that the original proposition is false. If you then arrive at a contradiction, this means that your assumption must have been incorrect, meaning that the original proposition must actually be true.

In symbols, (P ##\Rightarrow## Q) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] ~P V Q,
so ~(P ##\Rightarrow## Q) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] ~(~P V Q) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] P ^ ~Q.

In a proof by contradiction, you assume that the premise (or hypothesis - the "if" part) is true and that the conclusion is false. The goal is always to arrive at a contradiction.
setvectorgroup said:
I

4. I tried to do this differently, but got stuck:

Givens: n^2 is even ( P)

Goal: P - > Q

How can I modify n^2 directly so that it yields an even n? Also, if I could do that, would that be considered a direct proof?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You can factor the RHS of n=m^3-m into m(m^2-1), then it is easy proof by exhaustion:
If m=1 mod 6, then m^2 is also 1 mod 6, so m(m^2-1) is a multiple of 6.
If m=2 mod 6, then m^2 is 4 mod 6 so m^2-1 is a multiple of 3, and since m is even, then that means that m(m^2-1) is a multiple of 6.
You can finish up the rest :redface:

1. What does "please check my proofs" mean?

When someone says "please check my proofs," they are asking for someone else to review and evaluate their evidence or arguments in order to ensure their validity and accuracy.

2. Why is it important to have someone check my proofs?

Having someone check your proofs can help identify errors or weaknesses in your evidence or arguments, leading to a stronger and more convincing final product.

3. Who should I ask to check my proofs?

You can ask anyone who has a strong understanding of the subject matter and the ability to critically evaluate evidence and arguments. This could be a colleague, mentor, or even a professional proofreader or editor.

4. How do I know if my proofs are good enough?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on the standards and expectations of your audience. However, seeking feedback from others can help you gauge the strength of your proofs and make any necessary revisions.

5. Should I always have someone check my proofs?

While it is not always necessary to have someone check your proofs, it is generally recommended to seek feedback and review from others in order to improve the quality and credibility of your work.