Please could someone critique my circuit schematic (simple)

In summary, this is not a schematic and the lines between some of the components do not represent connections.
rwooduk
Hi, I am just putting a simple representation of my equipment in a type of circuit schematic as part of my set-up figure. Please could someone who is more experienced than myself tell me if there is anything wrong with it / any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help...

oavhLpi.png

Attachments

• oavhLpi.png
    oavhLpi.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 454
Engineering news on Phys.org
As it stands, this is no schematic. You have drawn some components, but you have not shown any interconnections (and no, your lines between some components do not count as connections).

Likes rwooduk
rwooduk said:
any suggestions
  • What's a "SUT"?
  • You've shown a 10 kOhm battery -- what is it? A resistor (use the resistor symbol) or a battery (fix the voltage label)
  • As @Svein says, this isn't really a schematic yet
What is the purpose of this system? Is the amplifier used in feedback to control the rate of fluid flow based on the output of the sensor? A more typical "schematic" that included electronics and electro-mechanical components might look like this:

https://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/sites/hydraulicspneumatics.com/files/uploads/custom-inline/archive/www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/Content/Site200/Articles/06_01_2007/67493Sumpumpsjp_00000043596.jpg

67493Sumpumpsjp_00000043596.jpg

Attachments

• 67493Sumpumpsjp_00000043596.jpg
    67493Sumpumpsjp_00000043596.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 388
Likes rwooduk
Yes, I thought I may get hammered here but I do appreciate the feedback!

Svein said:
As it stands, this is no schematic. You have drawn some components, but you have not shown any interconnections (and no, your lines between some components do not count as connections).

Please could you elaborate, the lines are just the wires connecting the devices.

berkeman said:
  • What's a "SUT"?
  • You've shown a 10 kOhm battery -- what is it? A resistor (use the resistor symbol) or a battery (fix the voltage label)
  • As @Svein says, this isn't really a schematic yet
What is the purpose of this system? Is the amplifier used in feedback to control the rate of fluid flow based on the output of the sensor? A more typical "schematic" that included electronics and electro-mechanical components might look like this:

Many thanks, this is really helpful. An SUT it a step up transformer, it's used to match the impedance between the amplifier and transducer. Without it I was getting high reflected power (RP) values. Yes, that's supposed to be a 10 KOhm resistor, the purpose of the resistor is to reduce static in the line and also the transducer can act like a capacitor so the idea was to prevent any discharge from the transducer to the amplifier. Apart from the resistor are the other symbols correct?

jim hardy said:
You might benefit from studying the resources manufacturers offer

http://www.ti.com/solution/ultrasound_system

Yes, excellent! This looks to be a much better idea.

Thanks for all the help, I'll now withdraw from the dark art of electronics and return to chemical engineering!

Likes berkeman
rwooduk said:
I am just putting a simple representation of my equipment in a type of circuit schematic as part of my set-up figure

this is just a block diagram ... as others have suggested, work towards a schematic :smile:

rwooduk said:
Please could you elaborate, the lines are just the wires connecting the devices.

no, those lines don't represent wires, they just represent the "flow" from block stage to the next.

keep playing and learning, we all have to start somewhere and here is a good place to ask questions specially when you have been
reading some stuff and need a better understanding on what you have read :smile:Dave

Last edited:
Likes rwooduk, berkeman and dlgoff

1. How do I know if my circuit schematic is correct?

The best way to determine if your circuit schematic is correct is to simulate it using a software program or to physically build and test the circuit. You can also ask for feedback from other experienced engineers or scientists.

2. What are the key components that should be included in a simple circuit schematic?

A simple circuit schematic should include a power source, resistors, capacitors, inductors, and any other necessary components such as transistors or diodes. It should also have clear connections and labels for each component.

3. Is there a specific format or layout that should be followed when creating a circuit schematic?

While there is no specific format or layout that is required for a circuit schematic, it is important to keep it organized and easy to read. Components should be placed in a logical manner and connections should be clearly labeled.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my circuit schematic?

To improve the efficiency of your circuit schematic, you can try using components with lower resistance values, reducing the number of components, or optimizing the connections between components. You can also consult with other experts for suggestions on how to improve your circuit.

5. Are there any common mistakes that I should watch out for when creating a circuit schematic?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when creating a circuit schematic include incorrect component values, incorrect connections, and missing components. It is important to double check your schematic and have it reviewed by others to catch any potential errors.