Please explain a little about general and special relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the history of general and special relativity and how Einstein proved them. The speaker is confused and asks for a simple explanation and recommendations for reliable sources. The response is that the topic requires books to fully explain, but the short answer is that general relativity is about gravity and its relationship with space-time, while special relativity is about the constant speed of light. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read "The Special and General Theory" by Einstein and to share more specific information for further assistance.
payam.a
Hi dears;
I want you please to explain about the history of existanse of general and special relativity and also explain what are they about? and tell me how einstein proved them.
I should tell that I know a little about them. but i have found different things in different web sites. therefore now i am confused.
at first i request you to explain for me yourself as simple as possible.
after that please introduce some sites for me that i can refer to them.
thanks
payam

Physics news on Phys.org
You understand, don't you, that this topic requires whole books to explain?

If you were to say what "different things in different web sites" you have found, we might be able to help.

What HallsofIvy said.

The very short answer is that SR is about the consequences of the fact that the speed of light is independent of the speed of the light source, and GR is about gravity. GR describes gravity as a geometric property of space-time and states the relationship between the geometry of space-time and its matter content. Matter tells space-time how to curve. Space-time tells matter how to move.

What is the difference between general and special relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that explains how massive objects affect the curvature of space and time. Special relativity, on the other hand, deals with objects moving at constant speeds in straight lines without any forces acting on them.

How does general relativity explain the bending of light?

In general relativity, light is affected by the curvature of space caused by massive objects. This means that light will bend as it travels near a massive object, such as a star or planet. This has been observed and confirmed through experiments and observations.

What is the concept of spacetime in relativity?

Spacetime is the combination of three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. In special relativity, spacetime is considered to be a flat, unchanging background. But in general relativity, spacetime is dynamic and can be curved by the presence of massive objects.

How does time dilation work in special relativity?

In special relativity, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds relative to another object. This means that time will appear to pass slower for the moving object, while time will appear to pass faster for the stationary object. This has been confirmed through experiments and is an important aspect of the theory.

What is the significance of general and special relativity in modern physics?

General and special relativity have had a huge impact on modern physics, particularly in our understanding of gravity and the behavior of objects in space. They have also been used to make accurate predictions about the universe, such as the bending of light and the existence of black holes. These theories have been confirmed through numerous experiments and continue to be an important part of our understanding of the universe.