Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please explain a little about general and special relativity

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1
    Hi dears;
    I want you please to explain about the history of existanse of general and special relativity and also explain what are they about? and tell me how einstein proved them.
    I should tell that I know a little about them. but i have found different things in different web sites. therefore now i am confused.
    at first i request you to explain for me yourself as simple as possible.
    after that please introduce some sites for me that i can refer to them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2
  4. Jun 4, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You understand, don't you, that this topic requires whole books to explain?

If you were to say what "different things in different web sites" you have found, we might be able to help.
  5. Jun 4, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What HallsofIvy said.

The very short answer is that SR is about the consequences of the fact that the speed of light is independent of the speed of the light source, and GR is about gravity. GR describes gravity as a geometric property of space-time and states the relationship between the geometry of space-time and its matter content. Matter tells space-time how to curve. Space-time tells matter how to move.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?