Please help: How do you find the peremeter of an oval

• Thread starter Register
  • Start date
In summary, The formula for finding the perimeter of an ellipse is the Complete Elliptic Integral of the First Kind of Andre Marie Legendre. It is represented by I_ellipse(a,b) = 4 * integral from 0 to pi/2 of sqrt(a^2 * sin^2(phi) + b^2 * cos^2(phi)) dphi. There are also approximate equations available for finding the perimeter of an oval, which is not the same as an ellipse.
Register
Please give me the formula.

Your help is appreciated.
Thanx in advanced.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you thinking of the perimeter of an ellipse?

As it happens, the formula is some nasty infinite series, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry, I don't know what an ellipse is. I mean an oval with a radius of 20CM horizontally, and 7CM vertically.

I know that the formula to find it's area is:
20 X 7 X 3.14

I know there is a way to find it's perimeter. :p

Register said:
Sorry, I don't know what an ellipse is. I mean an oval with a radius of 20CM horizontally, and 7CM vertically.

I know that the formula to find it's area is:
20 X 7 X 3.14

I know there is a way to find it's perimeter. :p

It is.It is called COMPLETE ELLIPTIC INTEGRAL OF THE FIRST KIND OF ANDRE MARIE LEGENDRE.
Do you want the formula,the series exapansion??

Daniel.

Yes, please give me the formula. ^_^

There you go,for an ellipse of semiaxis "a" and "b" it reads
[tex] I_{ellipse}(a,b)=:4\int_{0}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \sqrt{a^{2}\sin^{2}\phi+b^{2}\cos^{2}\phi} d\phi [/tex]

Daniel.

Thank you so much. You really helped a lot. ^_^

Register said:

You're welcome... :smile: I just hope u know you can't solve that integral exactly,doncha??I'm hoping you won't be spending your whole day trying to find the antiderivative and applying the Leibniz-Newton formula...
This integral is tabulated in many engineering books...

Daniel.

Register said:

Not to be rude, but, I find it that hard to believe considering that you didn't know what an ellipse was.

Just wondering, is an oval actually an ellipse at all? Since an oval is the shape of an egg, and an egg only has one axis of symmetry (I mean a chicken egg). It's longer on one end, and rounder on the other.

rachmaninoff said:
Just wondering, is an oval actually an ellipse at all? Since an oval is the shape of an egg, and an egg only has one axis of symmetry (I mean a chicken egg). It's longer on one end, and rounder on the other.

You're right, an oval isn't an ellipse. I've never actually seen a precise mathematical definition of an oval (i.e. I don't know what the general equation of an oval is) but it would certainly not be the same as that of an ellipse.

However in this case I suspect that Register is actually talking about an ellipse and just doesn't know the correct name for it. The area equation given as an example is after all the equation for the area of an ellipse.

1. What is an oval?

An oval is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It has two equal sides and two unequal sides, with both ends curving inwards.

2. How do you find the perimeter of an oval?

To find the perimeter of an oval, you can use the formula 2π√((a^2+b^2)/2), where a and b are the lengths of the unequal sides. Alternatively, you can also use a string or measuring tape to measure the length around the oval's outer edge.

3. Is the perimeter of an oval the same as its circumference?

Yes, the perimeter of an oval is also known as its circumference. It is the total distance around the oval's outer edge.

4. Can you use the same formula to find the perimeter of any oval?

Yes, the formula 2π√((a^2+b^2)/2) can be used to find the perimeter of any oval, regardless of its size or proportions. This is because all ovals have two equal and two unequal sides, and the formula takes into account the lengths of both sides.

5. Why is it important to find the perimeter of an oval?

Finding the perimeter of an oval is important because it allows us to determine the distance around the oval's outer edge. This can be useful in various real-world applications, such as designing a race track or calculating the amount of fencing needed for an oval-shaped garden.