How Can I Improve My Writing Speed for Exams?

• Testing
  • Thread starter smart_worker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams Physics
In summary, you should practice from the beginning of the semester and revise frequently. You should also use simpler examples and be concise in your answers. Getting enough sleep is also beneficial.
smart_worker
well a week ago i had my high school finals.it was 3 hours and i was writing slow and i could not finish the entire paper on time.i almost left 60 marks unanswered.:cry: now i am depresssed and can't concentrate on other exams.dont tell me that i have to practice because i am studying for the next exam.when i try to write fast my handwriting goes terrible and everything is atmost unreadable.how do i start writing faster in this short time.i have another exam on this weekend.what should i do and one more thing i can't retake the test again

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it is true that you should have practiced and you should have worked consistently from the very start of the semester/course.

In such a short amount of time, I guess the best preparation is to make sure that you know each and every concept in the course very well, and that you know of the different styles of questions that usually come up on the physics exams. Also, it would be great if you could read/do quite a few problems with the solutions by your side.

Obviously, you've got a lot of reviewing/studying to do. Good luck.

Vahsek said:
Well, it is true that you should have practiced and you should have worked consistently from the very start of the semester/course.

In such a short amount of time, I guess the best preparation is to make sure that you know each and every concept in the course very well, and that you know of the different styles of questions that usually come up on the physics exams. Also, it would be great if you could read/do quite a few problems with the solutions by your side.

Obviously, you've got a lot of reviewing/studying to do. Good luck.

Very nice post!

The "writing slow" thing is obviously a cop-out. Unless you have a severe disability that makes you write very slow, it can't be the actual problem.

You might need to change your study habits. Do more exercises (and I don't agree that the solutions should be by your side). Don't just "read" the theory, but fight it: what are some basic examples, how does this generalize, is this a special case of something I've seen before, etc. A deep understanding of a theory never comes from just reading or memorizing it. And same thing: good problem solving skills will only come from solving challenging problems on your own.

Likes 1 person
I'm sure that not writing fast enough is something that is more of a problem for some people than others. But you can make up for it by knowing your physics really well. and know what they want you to write for a certain question. I don't know what stage of education you are in... But most likely the person marking your exam will be giving you marks for specific points that you make. So I guess I'm saying you should definitely not go around in circles with your answer. Make a point, and move on to another point. keep it concise. Also, with revision, make sure you know the basic definitions, and practice some of the problems that you are fairly certain they will ask. If you have practiced it even once, I find it means I can write it much faster if I need to do the same problem again. Also, get enough sleep. sleep is good.

Sometimes you need to write smart. We were taught this lesson in a geometry class. The test would take 45 mins to complete. We struggled to get done on time but overall everyone did poorly so the teacher had a special review session. He told us he would take his own test and was able to write down all answers in 5 mins and figured 45 mins would be enough.

Some of the problems involved graphing lines and this is where he said we wasted so much time making pretty graphs with axes labeled, ticmarked and numbered. He said all that labeling was unnecessary so he showed us his method. He would draw the axes, label x and y and then for the y intercept draw tick marks up the y-axis and put a circular mark next he'd draw a horizontal line, tick mark over for the run value, draw a vertical line and tick mark up for the run value, mark the point and finish off with a line through both points. Done!

He said it showed everything he needed to know that you had the answer. He went on to show us how we wasted time in other ways as well by being overly verbose (like this post). For me, I had an epiphany that day and I started being more economical in my writing as well making my homework and test answers works of art with minimal strokes of the pen or pencil but still immediately understandable weeks later.

It was a kind of Edward Tufte enlightenment. Tufte would say many charts are overly complicated with art and that you should erase all the non essential stuff until it's almost no longer understandable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Tufte

One other trick I would do is write down at the start of the test key equations that I might need or compact mnemonic diagrams of some concept so I could refer to them when doing a problem. This prevented the brain freeze that sometimes occurs during a test.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, you asked us "how to cram physics". We told you not to. You tried anyway, and got lousy grades.

Your conclusion from this experience is that you write too slow?

Vanadium 50 said:
A few weeks ago, you asked us "how to cram physics". We told you not to. You tried anyway, and got lousy grades.

Your conclusion from this experience is that you write too slow?

did you mean this one?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=738354&page=3
well no not actually.i did understand and learn but the the examiners want me to write the exact textbook words.actually i knew the answers to all the questions.i prepared very well in those 2 weeks.i never slept before the exam.but since i am a slow writer right from 10th grade my writing speed was slower than normal.hence despite good preparation i a getting low marks.one more thing i started preparing right from beginning though i became serious only during the dead week.this happened to me in 10th board exams too.:cry:

smart_worker said:
did you mean this one?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=738354&page=3
well no not actually.i did understand and learn but the the examiners want me to write the exact textbook words.actually i knew the answers to all the questions.i prepared very well in those 2 weeks.i never slept before the exam.but since i am a slow writer right from 10th grade my writing speed was slower than normal.hence despite good preparation i a getting low marks.one more thing i started preparing right from beginning though i became serious only during the dead week.this happened to me in 10th board exams too.:cry:

Then, it is clear that you should be serious right from the beginning.

In some other post, you said you wanted to become a quantum physicist... If you are not willing to put in the required effort, your chances are really low.

Does the "problem of slow writing" only occur for physics exams or is that a general problem?

Vahsek said:
Then, it is clear that you should be serious right from the beginning.

In some other post, you said you wanted to become a quantum physicist... If you are not willing to put in the required effort, your chances are really low.

i agreed but right now i can't change my past.all my exams are over except c++.nothing can be done now and it is really difficult to get into college with my poor marks.even if i do well in college also there would be a slight chance of losing my aim due to low 12th grade marks.i can't retake exam as i said earlier.looks like i must give up

wukunlin said:
Does the "problem of slow writing" only occur for physics exams or is that a general problem?

nope it happens in almost all exams except c++,c# and other computer science related exams.that's why i want to major in computer science

well i do CONSIDER IT AS MY FAULT for not practising but i am asking what should i do now

smart_worker said:
well i do CONSIDER IT AS MY FAULT for not practising but i am asking what should i do now

Like I said, think about what went wrong. I think it's quite clear what that is: startin too late, cramming, etc. Then make sure that never happens again when you take physics courses in college.

Likes 1 person
smart_worker said:
nope it happens in almost all exams except c++,c# and other computer science related exams.that's why i want to major in computer science

I guess that answers your question on whether you have a chance at becoming a "quantum physicist", doesn't it?

smart_worker said:

Enroll in classes that don't require a lot of writing. That should rule out most math and physics classes.

Zz.

Likes 1 person
Next time write fast. You may think that your handwriting becomes "unreadable" but most examiners are used to different writing styles and can usually decipher writing of really poor quality.

Another thing--no matter what career you choose, you will be more respected and go farther if you use correct grammar and punctuation. Text-speak is for hackers.

smart_worker said:
...when i try to write fast my handwriting goes terrible and everything is atmost unreadable.how do i start writing faster in this short time...

I suggest you read this article on avoiding hand pain from writing. Also, try some of http://www.therapro.com/Pencil-Grips-C4297.aspx to see if they help. There's no reason to let a simple mechanical problem (if that's what it is) cause you academic problems.

Good luck. Let us know if this helps.

marcusl said:
Another thing--no matter what career you choose, you will be more respected and go farther if you use correct grammar and punctuation. Text-speak is for hackers.

smart_worker:"That's just Ridiculous;One need not become a Grammarian to be successful in life.All one needs is Talent.':devil:'."

IGU said:
I suggest you read this article on avoiding hand pain from writing. Also, try some of http://www.therapro.com/Pencil-Grips-C4297.aspx to see if they help. There's no reason to let a simple mechanical problem (if that's what it is) cause you academic problems.

Good luck. Let us know if this helps.

well i don't have any pain or something but when i write a bit faster then my handwriting goes horrible

smart_worker said:
smart_worker:"That's just Ridiculous;One need not become a Grammarian to be successful in life.All one needs is Talent.':devil:'."

Hey man, we're just giving you advice here. Either you take the advice or you leave it, but there's no reason to start attacking people who spent their free time giving you advice.

micromass said:
Hey man, we're just giving you advice here. Either you take the advice or you leave it, but there's no reason to start attacking people who spent their free time giving you advice.

nope i am not attacking people.i just expressed my opinion.

I think the thread has run its course and should be closed now.

jedishrfu said:
I think the thread has run its course and should be closed now.

I think I agree.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: How Can I Improve My Writing Speed for Exams?

1. Why do I struggle to write fast in physics exams?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possible explanation is that you may not have enough practice writing in a time-constrained environment, which can make it difficult to organize your thoughts and write quickly. Another possibility is that you may not have a thorough understanding of the material, which can slow down your writing process as you try to recall information. It's important to identify the root cause of your struggle in order to find effective solutions.

2. How can I improve my writing speed in physics exams?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you practice writing under time pressure, the better you will become at it. It's also helpful to review and understand the material thoroughly before the exam, so that you can write with confidence and speed. Additionally, try to identify any specific areas where you struggle and focus on improving those skills.

3. Are there any specific tips or techniques for writing fast in physics exams?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help you write faster in physics exams. One is to familiarize yourself with the exam format and structure, so that you know what to expect and can plan accordingly. Another is to read the questions carefully and answer them in a concise and organized manner. It's also helpful to practice using shorthand or abbreviations for commonly used terms or equations.

4. What can I do if I run out of time during a physics exam?

If you find yourself running out of time during a physics exam, don't panic. Focus on answering the questions that you know well and can answer quickly. If you have time at the end, you can go back and try to answer the more difficult questions. It's also a good idea to manage your time effectively by allocating a certain amount of time for each question and sticking to that schedule.

5. Is it more important to write fast or accurately in physics exams?

Ideally, you should strive for a balance of both speed and accuracy in physics exams. However, if you find yourself struggling to finish the exam on time, it may be more important to focus on writing faster in order to answer all of the questions. It's important to remember that even if you write quickly, your answers should still be accurate and demonstrate a strong understanding of the material.