Please help me find my mistake in this integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to solve the integral \intdx/x*(x2-1)0.5 from 1 to infinity. The speaker makes a substitution of t=(x2-1)0.5 and adjusts the limits accordingly, but still gets the wrong answer of pi/4. The expert suggests that the mistake was not fully adjusting the limits after the substitution, as t should go from 0 to infinity. This yields the correct answer of pi/2.
Dell
[tex]\int[/tex]dx/x*(x2-1)0.5 (from 1 to infinity)

i said t=(x2-1)0.5, therefore x2=t2+1
dt=x/(x2-1)0.5

so now i have

[tex]\int[/tex]dx/x*(x2-1)0.5=[tex]\int[/tex]xdx/x2*(x2-1)0.5=[tex]\int[/tex]dt/x2=[tex]\int[/tex]dt/t+1 (now integral from 0 to infinity)

[tex]\int[/tex]dt/t+1 (from 0 to infinity)

=lim arctan(t)[tex]^{b}_{0}[/tex]=pi/4
b-inf

but the correct answer is pi/2, can ANYONE see where i have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't adjust your limits after the substitution. If [itex]t=\sqrt{x^2-1}[/itex] and x goes from 1 to infinity then t goes from 0 to infinity.

ps. It would be nice if you use brackets properly so we don't have to guess which function is actually being integrated.

if you look at the 5th line of text youll see that i did change my limits,

I missed that, still are you sure you didn't use the old limits? As they yields pi/4. So what's arctan(0) and what's arctan(x) with x going to infinity? Hint: your mistake has to do with filling in the limits.

Last edited:

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. It involves finding the anti-derivative of a given function.

Why is it important to find mistakes in integration?

Finding mistakes in integration is important because it ensures the accuracy of the final result. A single mistake in the integration process can lead to an incorrect solution.

What are the common mistakes made in integration?

Some common mistakes in integration include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the limits of integration, and making calculation errors.

How can I find my mistake in integration?

To find a mistake in integration, you can check your work step by step, use a graphing calculator to visualize the integral, or ask a colleague or tutor to review your work.

What are some tips for avoiding mistakes in integration?

Some tips for avoiding mistakes in integration include practicing regularly, double-checking your work, and understanding the fundamental concepts and rules of integration.