• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Please help me in starting my job search as an EE undergrad graduating soon.

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everyone. I'm in my last semester of my BSEE degree. I want to get a decent job when I graduate in May. On paper I have a lot of things going for me, but my head is a total mess right now when I start thinking about it. I'm really scared I won't find anything, or if I do, something I really don't like.

My selling points:
  • 3 internships @ SPX, Electrolux, Medtronic. All were great experiences and I know my former supervisors would speak highly of me.
  • Former president of local IEEE chapter
  • Former vice president of social fraternity
  • Founder & president of racquetball club team
  • Good overall grades, ~3.5 GPA

I do have about ~15 professional contacts that I could contact. I think what scares me the most is the possibility of getting a dead-end job and feeling like all my hard work was in vain. Also, while I am good in interviews, I am not the best at actually contacting people and maintaining those relationships.

Can you guys give me some advice, maybe even help me come up with a plan? This is a huge deal for me, and if anyone here does help me out a lot, I will be sure to reward them when I do get a job. I appreciate all your concern and attention ahead of time.

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
1. You might want to start by defining as specifically as you can - and for yourself only - what you're looking for. If you could have a dream job land in your lap after you graduate, what would it look like? What activities do you enjoy? What projects have you worked on that gave you a sense of satisfaction or accomplishment? What situations would you like to avoid? 9-5 or 'freestyle' hours? etc.

2. Try not to worry too much about getting stuck in something you don't like. The days of permanent careers with a single company are going the way of the dinosaur. If you don't like a position, you can always quit and find something else - and there are ways to do this without burning bridges or enduring tremendous financial hardships.

3. With point 2 being said, sometimes you have to take what you can get for the time-being. Chances are you won't land the perfect job right out of school. The things is, even the bad jobs you can learn from. And you can use them as solid place from which to experiment and expand.

4. The thing with contacting people is to just do it. Put together a cover letter and a resume and then email them. Start out simple. If they don't have a specific position, tell them you're graduating soon, remind them of your relationship, point out your interests and experience, and ask if they have any leads on positions that might be of interest, or if they have any advice for you. (Most people like to be asked for advice.)

5. Start early. Right now isn't too soon.