Going to Grad School In Lieu of an Unsuccessful Job Search

In summary, the person is considering going back to grad school to pursue a Masters in combustion, but is worried about the job market and whether it is the right decision. They also mention that they would try to make use of and network with headhunters.
Aero51
Hello everyone, I am wondering what your opinions are on going to graduate school if a job search isn't working out. While I would like to get a PhD, and always have, the fact of the matter is that I need money and cannot fund that type of commitment. The main problem with my resume is that it is too specialized. Even though I have gotten a lot of call backs, I get the feeling that the work I did in undergrad was too aerodynamics oriented to actually land me a job. I was thinking about going into grad school and get my Masters in combustion -this should open up my employibility immensely at the expense of pursuing my passion sadly. I would keep looking for jobs, but if I remain unemployed any longer my skills are going to degrade, I will lose contacts, and my motivation to continue to apply to companies is greatly diminishing every day. I think I've applied to over 100, I've lost count truthfully.

Anyway, like I said earlier I would like to know if it is a good idea to go to grad school to open up employment doors at the expense of pursuing ones passion.

Physics news on Phys.org
well it's certainly not the best motivation for going to grad school, but it beats unemployment. Of course, you'll have to convince the grad school that you really are interested in studying combustion if that's what you go for (and are you sure the job market for combustion is better than for aero?).

Didn't you try grad school already and leave? If you go back make sure you don't repeat the past.

I, like you, have tried grad school (PhD in EE) but had to drop out because of health issues. Since leaving I have been able to get jobs but I have disliked all of them. I was recently fired from a job in industry because I believe my attitude about industry shined through. Since then, I have been applying to jobs with no luck. I am considering going back for a physics PhD. (I have a degree in physics)

Also, I don't know what the job market is for combustion where you are but it seems overly specialized. This might be the problem with aero too. Maybe you could look into ME instead. You could study combustion but you will end up with are more applicable degree in a broader range of industries.

I did try grad school and left due to an illness. I have been job searching with many phone interviews but very few on sight interviews. I am concerned that my skills will degrade given that its been almost a 5 months search. I am going to enroll in summer class and still job search, but I really don't want to re-enroll in my old program because, quite frankly, I do not like the school.

Try and make use of and network with head hunters. There are tons of them in the US. I don't know if that's the case for the country you are in. These usually lead to contract-to-hire positions but it's better than nothing.

Combustion is a very fun topic to get into, and if you're interested in getting into defence then detonation is a very good topic to study. I would advise fluid dynamics in general and that has a large area of validity.

1. What are the benefits of going to grad school instead of continuing to search for a job?

Going to grad school can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in your field, making you a more competitive job candidate and increasing your chances of landing a higher paying job. It can also provide you with networking opportunities and access to resources that can help you in your job search.

2. Will going to grad school guarantee me a job after graduation?

No, going to grad school does not guarantee a job after graduation. However, it can enhance your qualifications and make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers. It is important to continue networking and gaining experience during your time in grad school to increase your chances of securing a job after graduation.

3. How do I know if grad school is the right decision for me?

Deciding to go to grad school should be a well thought out decision. Consider your career goals, the cost of the program, and whether or not it aligns with your interests and strengths. It may also be helpful to speak with a career counselor or individuals who have gone through a similar program to get their insight.

4. Can I still search for a job while in grad school?

Yes, it is possible to search for a job while in grad school. However, it is important to prioritize your studies and make sure you are able to balance both responsibilities effectively. It may also be beneficial to seek internships or part-time positions related to your field of study to gain experience while in school.

5. How can I fund my grad school education?

There are various options for funding your grad school education, such as scholarships, grants, fellowships, and student loans. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early to increase your chances of receiving funding. Some employers also offer tuition assistance or reimbursement programs for employees pursuing higher education.