Survey: Computer Needs and Who to Call for Help

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Survey
In summary, the conversation discusses computer needs and who people call for help with those needs. The conversation also touches on starting a computer services business and the market for it. Some specific computer issues are mentioned, such as viruses and hardware problems.
david90
1. what kind of computer needs did you have? (by "needs", I mean ANYTHING that is computer related)
2. who did you call for help with those computer needs and why did you call him/her?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a fish needs a mouse like a woman needs a … ?

david90 said:
1. what kind of computer needs did you have?
2. who did you call for help with those computer needs and why did you call him/her?

hi david90! :smile:

i needed a computer that works underwater, but i had to make do with a computer next to my bowl, and i call upon my mouse, whisskerstein, to operate the computer :approve:

do you want his number? o:)

Could you be more specific? What kind of "needs" are we talking about here, hardware or software?

Nobody here needed computer help before?

Maybe you should read the technology forum threads. Those people all asked the folks at PF to help with their computer problems.

david90 said:
Nobody here needed computer help before?

I think most of the members here probably know enough about computers to figure out most problems on their own and if they do not they probably know someone either in real life or online who could help. There is also google. I usually use google to find answer to pesky little issues. Besides that I have a couple of computer geek friends that are more than willing to help out.

I've not actually had any major problems since the last time I was running Windows 98.

Are you asking about home or work/school computer needs?

The question just seems very overly broad and poorly defined to expect much of an answer. "Computer needs" could be anything from needing to buy new software or a new computer, to troubleshooting a problem.

I can't find the 'any' key: fail.

Moonbear said:
The question just seems very overly broad and poorly defined to expect much of an answer. "Computer needs" could be anything from needing to buy new software or a new computer, to troubleshooting a problem.

Yes that's what I mean by computer needs. I want to know about any problems that people had.

I guess from the lack of responses, can I concluded that most people here never had computer problems? I started my own computer services business and I'm trying to see if there is a market for it. sort of.

Last edited:
1. Software issues, some minor hardware issues.
2. Turned to myself and the internet for solutions since I'm Indian and we somehow have tech support infused into us as fetuses.

Usually problematic things that I can never figure out myself are when things like viruses and weird sounding .exe programs are running and I have to turn to the internet for solutions on either removal (which I can usually fix myself with a handful of tools), or for whether said .exe program is legit.

I am currently experiencing a problem with my laptop where it seems to not be starting properly and when it does the screen seems to be artifacted. My current feelings are:

1. It could be a driver issue
2. It could be some patch/update issue
3. Resolve above by going into safe mode and checking out current drivers and updates.
4. If nothing, it's a mobo breakdown and needs replacement.

david90 said:
Yes that's what I mean by computer needs. I want to know about any problems that people had.

I guess from the lack of responses, can I concluded that most people here never had computer problems? I started my own computer services business and I'm trying to see if there is a market for it. sort of.
You started a computer service company before you evaluated the market for your services?

I typed google into google and now my internet is broken.

Yes, I tried turning it off and on again. Yes, it's plugged in. Why do people keep asking me that?

Huckleberry said:
I typed google into google and now my internet is broken.

Yes, I tried turning it off and on again. Yes, it's plugged in. Why do people keep asking me that?
Have you checked the brakes? Of course it could be the wheelbase...

david90 said:

Actually I knew that there's a market for it. Computer support is a proven business model (geeksquad). I just need to know the specifics like the kinds of problem that people have, who they call and how they choose tech support companies.

david90 said:

A friend of mine started his own computer support and consultation company. He primarily targeted his services for persons working out of their home and small businesses. I think most of his customers were lawyers and accountants. A major issue with these sorts of customers though is getting paid. You'll get a fairly high rate of persons blowing you off when the bill arrives.
My friend did fairly well though. He even got a couple contracts to help new companies outfit their offices with brand new computers and set up their networks. He would then get a lot of repeat business when they had tech support issues. Getting to this point took him a while though.

There are different places you can go for information and help on market research. It depends where you are of course but in the UK businesslink or your local chamber of commerce would be good points to start. Also reference sections of libraries have a wide range of information not available on the internet.

Like I said, it's too vague of a question. Who is going to sit here and list all their computer needs? Especially when the answer is that most people can fix them themselves. If you can identify your need, you can usually fix it yourself. It's when you don't know what's wrong that you have to start asking for help.

The only people I know who hire someone to fix their computers are my parents, and that's because they're idiots when it comes to computers. I couldn't even help them over the phone when they first got a computer a few years ago, because I couldn't get them to understand the differences between single click, double click, right or left click, etc. If you have the patience and personality to deal with people like that, more power to you. But, I'm not sure it's a career that can be sustained very long, since their generation is dying off.

The only computer needs I need help with are those that are out of my hands...getting granted server access at work, for example, or being given a log-in for the classroom computers.

protonchain said:
I am currently experiencing a problem with my laptop where it seems to not be starting properly and when it does the screen seems to be artifacted. My current feelings are:

1. It could be a driver issue
2. It could be some patch/update issue
3. Resolve above by going into safe mode and checking out current drivers and updates.
4. If nothing, it's a mobo breakdown and needs replacement.

I apologize for going off-topic, but I've had this happen to me before...dark screen with fans running/ artifacts on screen.
Basically, in my case, the GPU on the motherboard was getting so hot it was not making contact with the motherboard. You can either try and reflow it, get a new motherboard, or try and lower the heat being emitted.

david90 said:
1. what kind of computer needs did you have? (by "needs", I mean ANYTHING that is computer related)

1. I've had blue screen of death problems (Windows XP), failed GPUs on laptops (HP dv9000 series) and overheating issues, among other things.

2. I've mainly turned to Google for help. If it is something that the manufacturer did wrong (i.e. HP with dv9000 recall), I'll call them.

david90 said:
Actually I knew that there's a market for it. Computer support is a proven business model (geeksquad). I just need to know the specifics like the kinds of problem that people have, who they call and how they choose tech support companies.
You've been trying to find a business to start for a few years. Do you even know anything about computers? Could you actually troubleshoot and fix any problem a person would come across? Are you familiar with the different OS's and enough of the software that could cause issues? If you start destroying people's computers through your lack of knowledge, you're going to be in trouble.

If you don't know the different types of issues people commonly have, I don't think you have the expertise to be attempting this.

Okay, now that I know what's being asked, the answer is no. I prefer solving my own problems and have successfully troubleshooted issues on 40+ Linux/BSD systems and Windows XP. The only time I requested computer support was from a remarkably helpful OfficeMax employee who helped me find a printer from their small selection.

colonelcrayon said:
Okay, now that I know what's being asked, the answer is no. I prefer solving my own problems and have successfully troubleshooted issues on 40+ Linux/BSD systems and Windows XP. The only time I requested computer support was from a remarkably helpful OfficeMax employee who helped me find a printer from their small selection.

:smile: That's more than I'd usually ask any of those employees for help. My requests for help in stores are usually limited to questions such as, "What aisle are the USB cables in?"

A common problem I encountered was that people have visited poisonous websites using internet explorer, and they needed me to reformat their computer to return it to a clean slate.

Two things that people will pay dearly for, in my experience:

(1) Setting up a new computer with all the bells and whistles e.g. software, updates, plug-ins, get all that stuff dealt with instead of the way Dell, HP, etc start the user with a basic windows install that is loaded down with buggy trial-ware. This can also include helping the person pick out the hardware from dealers that are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of dell, and whose warranty and reliability are IMO superior.

(2) Restoring someones computer to a virus free state, but where all their files, bookmarks etc are untouched.

That's more than I'd usually ask any of those employees for help. My requests for help in stores are usually limited to questions such as, "What aisle are the USB cables in?"
I wanted to know if the printer was supported by the hpijs driver, and this guy actually hoofed it into the back of the Copy section and looked it up on a computer there. By far the best service I've ever had in a box store (or most other types, for that matter).
A common problem I encountered was that people have visited poisonous websites using internet explorer, and they needed me to reformat their computer to return it to a clean slate.
And you can get lots of return customers because they don't stop and think about actually practicing good security.

When I was programming, I used to moonlight doing computer repairs, network installs, etc. Back in the bad old DOS days, the openness of the architecture made it simple for a programmer to address the hardware directly and steal interrupts, etc to make their programs run faster at the expense of others. I can't tell you how many times I went to a home-based business (or a commercial businessplace with poor or non-existent software protocols) to fix problems caused by people who had loaded ill-behaved applications like games that did just that.

I think most places that do computer servicing nowadays are concentrating on small or medium businesses. It is very rare for the individual user to shed out money for professional repair. Perhaps you should try and target the small and medium business sector where they will give out contracts for you to maintain their entire network of computers.

Civilized said:
(1) Setting up a new computer with all the bells and whistles e.g. software, updates, plug-ins, get all that stuff dealt with instead of the way Dell, HP, etc start the user with a basic windows install that is loaded down with buggy trial-ware. This can also include helping the person pick out the hardware from dealers that are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of dell, and whose warranty and reliability are IMO superior.

This was my friend's primary money maker. Back when he started up was about the time that laptops started to get more popular and desk tops were coming down in price quickly. He would ask his customer what they wanted to use their computer for then go to the store, buy all the components individually (housing, motherboard, processor, RAM, ect), then put it all together and install the software for them. They would get the equivalent of a thousand dollar computer delivered to their home/business fully ready to plug in and use and it would only cost about five hundred dollars to put together. Even after he added the fee for his services they were still paying less for their computer. He would then give them mostly free tech support for all of the simple stuff and only charge them when they wanted to get upgrades or had major support issues.

I haven't seen him in years now so I am not sure what he is doing now. Last I knew he was doing network support for small businesses mostly and I think he had started trying to design specialized software specific to the needs of the businesses he was working for.
I wonder if he could put together laptops the way he used to put together desktops.

Evo said:
You've been trying to find a business to start for a few years. Do you even know anything about computers? Could you actually troubleshoot and fix any problem a person would come across? Are you familiar with the different OS's and enough of the software that could cause issues? If you start destroying people's computers through your lack of knowledge, you're going to be in trouble.

If you don't know the different types of issues people commonly have, I don't think you have the expertise to be attempting this.

What make you think that I don't have the necessary skills to solve computer problems? Yes I've asked questions regarding starting businesses in the past but how does that say that I don't know anything about computers?

Not knowing the different types of issues people commonly have does not mean I don't have the computer skills. However, it does mean that I don't have a good knowledge of potential customers' needs and this is why I ask in this forum about computer problems that people have. Yes I do lack experience in business but I got to start somewhere. The sooner I start the sooner I can become good at it.

Last edited:
david90 said:
What make you think that I don't have the necessary skills to solve computer problems? Yes I've asked questions regarding starting businesses in the past but how does that say that I don't know anything about computers?

Not knowing the different types of issues people commonly have does not mean I don't have the computer skills. However, it does mean that I don't have a good knowledge of potential customers' needs and this is why I ask in this forum about computer problems that people have. Yes I do lack experience in business but I got to start somewhere. The sooner I start the sooner I can become good at it.

If that's the business you really want to start, you'd do well to go and work for a little while for some companies that provide these services and learn how they operate. Learn what each does right, and what each does wrong, and what your business will need to do to compete with them.

This forum is a bad place to do research. We are not your potential customers. In fact, we're usually the ones that frustrated friends, neighbors and grandparents call when they have computer problems. The frustrated friends, neighbors and grandparents are the ones whose needs you'll be interested in. If you'd spent some time working in the business you'd have a more solid idea of who your customers are and what their needs are.

Twice I have taken my office laptop to my company's IT dept., after my kid pulled all the keys out. Third time when it happened, I learned to fix it myself. The computer key mechanism was more complex than I thought initially.

I need a spreadsheet program capable of charting at least as many data points as I can count on my fingers and toes.

More and more, I come to the conclusion that Microsoft just plain sucks - especially their Office 2007 package.

(STK has some real crappy graphs, so the data really has to be exported into something else to really create the charts I want.)

I'm also really starting to stress about the year 2038, so I could use a computer therapist.

BobG said:
I need a spreadsheet program capable of charting at least as many data points as I can count on my fingers and toes.

More and more, I come to the conclusion that Microsoft just plain sucks - especially their Office 2007 package.
Office 2007 is the spawn of Satan! I have been using it since pretty soon after it came out (just happened to have a new computer at the time, and figured it wouldn't be long before I'd be forced to upgrade anyway...I just didn't know how awful it would be before I installed it). I'm now the person others ask for help with it since the entire campus has just been forced to upgrade due to a change in our email system, but I can't say I'm very helpful. After about 2 years of using it...or has it been 3 now?...I'm STILL hunting for features that previous versions had in nice, logical, easily accessible places. And I think Excel is missing features that used to exist in previous versions...I end up having to import graphs into PowerPoint and then drawing in content by hand.

I'm also really starting to stress about the year 2038, so I could use a computer therapist.

What's special about 2038?

Moonbear said:
What's special about 2038?

The UNIX version of Y2K.

You can't import equations from Equation Editor or MathType into Power Point the way you used to, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Survey: Computer Needs and Who to Call for Help

1. What is the purpose of the survey?

The purpose of the survey is to gather information about computer needs and who to call for help. This information will be used to improve the computer support services provided by the organization.

2. Who should participate in the survey?

Anyone who uses a computer within the organization should participate in the survey. This includes employees, volunteers, and contractors.

3. How long will the survey take to complete?

The survey should take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. It consists of multiple choice and open-ended questions.

4. Will the survey responses be anonymous?

Yes, all survey responses will be kept confidential and anonymous. No identifying information will be collected.

5. How will the survey results be used?

The survey results will be analyzed and used to identify areas for improvement in the organization's computer support services. This will help ensure that the organization's computer needs are met and that there is a clear understanding of who to contact for help.