Calculating Refraction: Snells Law Help for Light Ray Approaching Glass Block

• Thread starter Sprattboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses using Snell's law to determine the angle of refraction for a light ray passing through a glass block. The individual made an error in their algebra and received an unexpected negative answer, which was likely due to using radians instead of degrees on their calculator. The conversation also advises the individual to double check their calculations and make sure their calculator is set correctly for future exams.
Sprattboy
Snells law -- help please

A light ray approaches a glass block at 30° to the normal. The refractive
indices of air and water are 1 and 1.5 respectively At what angle will the light
be refracted? This uses Snells law

I did Sin 30 / Sin r = 1 / 1.5
I then multiplied both sides in order to get rid of sin 30.
After that, I got Sin r = 1/1.5(xSin30)
This gave me an answer of -1.48
When I do inverse sine it gives me an error
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sprattboy said:
A light ray approaches a glass block at 30° to the normal. The refractive
indices of air and [STRIKE]water[/STRIKE] glass (?) are 1 and 1.5 respectively At what angle will the light
be refracted?

This uses Snells law

This gave me an answer of -1.48
When I do inverse sine it gives me an error
What did I do wrong?
Check your algebra !

SammyS said:
Check your algebra !

I have

Check it again and again, just to be sure, a minus answer should be rather unlikely in elementary examples.

Sprattboy said:
You did your fractions wrongly.

You should have got this:

[itex]\frac{1}{sin(r)}=\frac{1}{1.5(sin(30))}[/itex]

Make sure your calculator is set for degrees instead of radians. You're getting a negative sign because you're using radians. That's what happens when you blindly follow the calculator without a clue of what to expect. You end up eating calculator garbage.

What dauto said. and:

Since you have done that,(Did it using radians), be sure to reset your calculator especially before exams.

1. What is Snell's law?

Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction, is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums.

2. Who discovered Snell's law?

Snell's law was first discovered by Dutch astronomer and mathematician Willebrord Snell in the 17th century. However, it was also independently discovered by French philosopher René Descartes around the same time.

3. What is the practical application of Snell's law?

Snell's law has numerous practical applications, including in optics and engineering. It is used to calculate the bending of light in lenses and prisms, the behavior of light in different mediums, and the design of optical instruments such as microscopes and telescopes.

4. How is Snell's law related to the speed of light?

Snell's law is related to the speed of light in different mediums. The speed of light in a vacuum is constant, but it changes when it passes through a medium such as air, water, or glass. Snell's law helps us understand how light behaves when it enters and exits different mediums.

5. What is the mathematical formula for Snell's law?

The mathematical formula for Snell's law is n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.