PLEASE:Projectile motion quicky problem with web assign

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion Web
In summary, the problem discussed is about finding the maximum height above a cliff top using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad. The value of 439.5m was entered into an online homework platform, but there was confusion about whether this value should include the height of the cliff top or not. The concept of displacement and velocity in projectile motion was also clarified. The conversation ended with a question about finding the vertical velocity of a projectile at a certain time.
Saladsamurai
Okay. So I have this problem that I posted last night. https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1462108&postcount=1 I have solved everything.

My problem is that I entered the value of Maximum height above the cliff that I got which was 439.5meters into WebAssign (online homework). The problem is that I am quite positive that the answer should be 439.5-205, because it asks for the height ABOVE the cliff top.

But WebAssign accepted the answer that I used (439.5)

Am I correct that it should be the difference since I used [tex]v_y^2=(v_0)_y^2+2a\Delta y[/tex]

so[tex]0=(155sin37)^219.6\Delta y[/tex] so[tex]\Delta y=439.5[/tex]

I am tutoring tonight so I really would like to give this person an unambiguous answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
If someone could just verify that my concept is correct, that is all I need.

I am convinced that Max height above the cliff is (Delta y)-(cliff height).

The height above the top of the cliff is 439.5m

The height above the ground is 439.5m+205m.

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

In this formula d is the displacement between the position where the object is at vi, and the position where the object is at vf... at vi is the top of the cliff... at vf it is at the maximum height. so d here is the height from the top of the cliff to the max...

Thanks you! I am pretty sure I am with you now...

By plugging in v_f=0 you are "telling" the equation that displacement is from where the projectile was fired to the point where v_f=0. I was just confused as to how it does not "assume" that I mean when it lands...v_f=0 when it lands too doesn't it? I know I am confusing a concept here...I have done this before with this same kind of problem a couple of semesters ago...

Casey

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:

By plugging in v_f=0 you are "telling" the equation that displacement is from where the projectile was fired to the point where v_f=0.

exactly.

Saladsamurai said:

By plugging in v_f=0 you are "telling" the equation that displacement is from where the projectile was fired to the point where v_f=0. I was just confused as to how it does not "assume" that I mean when it lands...v_f=0 when it lands too doesn't it?

No it isn't 0 when it lands.

learningphysics said:
No it isn't 0 when it lands.

So when it lands, it still has a velocity at that instant.

When it comes to rest completely (immediately after landing) we are no longer dealing with projectile motion, correct?

We would use v_f from the projectile motion problem to make any further presumtions with regards to after its landing i.e, kinetic energy, impact-momentum, Force, etc...

Saladsamurai said:
So when it lands, it still has a velocity at that instant.

When it comes to rest completely (immediately after landing) we are no longer dealing with projectile motion, correct?

exactly.

We would use v_f from the projectile motion problem to make any further presumtions with regards to after its landing i.e, kinetic energy, impact-momentum, Force, etc...

yes... it becomes a different problem once it hits the ground... the projectile motion is from the moment it is released to right before it hits the ground...

learningphysics said:
exactly.

yes... it becomes a different problem once it hits the ground... the projectile motion is from the moment it is released to right before it hits the ground...

Understood. Out of curiosity now; Suppose I set up an equation that I wished to solve for v_f not equal to zero...at what time after being launced will a projectile's vertical component of velocity be V. Now this velocity v_y=V will occur twice correct? On the way up and on the way down. Now the equation [tex](v_y)_f=v_o+a_yt[/tex], will that generate the upward or the downward? Or will depend on a sign?

This may be a stupid question:rolleyes:..I have to think about it:smile:

yes, it's 2 different values... suppose V is positive... so going upward vy = V... downward vy = -V. so you'll get two different times...

Now, the height at which these 2 velocities occur is the same. (think conservation of energy)...

This can be seen by the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

it doesn't matter if vf is +V or -V... you'll get the same answer for d.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of only gravity and air resistance. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do I solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you need to know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the height of the object. Then, you can use equations of motion and trigonometry to calculate the displacement, velocity, and time of flight.

3. What is web assign?

Web assign is an online homework and grading system commonly used in science and math courses. It allows students to complete assignments and quizzes online and receive immediate feedback.

4. How can I quickly solve a projectile motion problem on web assign?

To quickly solve a projectile motion problem on web assign, make sure you understand the concepts and equations involved. Then, read the problem carefully and identify the given information. Use the appropriate equations and plug in the values to solve for the unknown variable.

5. Can projectile motion problems on web assign be solved using a calculator?

Yes, projectile motion problems can be solved using a calculator. However, make sure to use the correct mode (degrees or radians) and enter the values correctly to avoid errors. It is also recommended to show your work and use correct units in your calculations.