Please provide an example of INTERNAL and EXTERNAL torque

In summary, internal torque is the result of forces acting within a system, while external torque is the result of forces acting on the system from outside. An example of internal torque is the force applied by a person's bicep muscle when lifting a weight, while an example of external torque is the force applied by a wrench to turn a bolt. These torques can affect rotational motion by causing a system to rotate in different directions depending on the net torque, which is the sum of internal and external torque. Torque is also directly proportional to angular acceleration, as described by the equation τ = Iα.
zinedine_88
Can anybody please give me an example of INTERNAL and EXTERNAL force.

I was told by my Professor that there is only internal Torque at the moment when you are running toward a marygoround and grab so of the handles.
PLEASE EXPLAIN ME WHY.

Physics news on Phys.org
i meant INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL TORQUE!

Internal torque refers to the rotational force that is generated within a system, while external torque refers to the rotational force applied from outside the system. An example of internal torque can be seen when you are running towards a merry-go-round and grab onto the handles. As you push and pull on the handles, you are generating internal torque within your body, specifically in your arms and shoulders, to rotate the merry-go-round. This is because your muscles are contracting and pulling on your bones to create the necessary force to rotate the object. On the other hand, if someone were to push the merry-go-round from the outside, they would be applying external torque to the system. This external force would cause the merry-go-round to rotate, but the force is not generated within the system itself.

1. What is the difference between internal and external torque?

Internal torque is the result of forces acting within a system, while external torque is the result of forces acting on the system from outside.

2. Can you provide an example of internal torque?

An example of internal torque would be the force applied by a person's bicep muscle when lifting a weight. The bicep muscle acts within the system (the person's body) to generate the torque needed to move the weight.

3. Can you give an example of external torque?

An example of external torque would be the force applied by a wrench to turn a bolt. The force is acting on the system (the bolt) from outside, resulting in a rotational motion.

4. How does internal and external torque affect rotational motion?

Internal torque can cause a system to rotate in one direction, while external torque can cause it to rotate in the opposite direction. The net torque, or the sum of internal and external torque, determines the direction and speed of the rotational motion.

5. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to angular acceleration, meaning that the greater the torque applied, the greater the resulting angular acceleration. This is described by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.