Please Recommend Books to Refer on SMART Grids

• Thread starter roTTer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the author is looking for books or papers on "smart grids" that may help him with his work, and some sources have been listed.
roTTer
Just as the title explains...I would like suggestions from you people on books or papers to refer to do a technical paper on SMART Grids...I will be starting my work from the basics...so would like to have a book that also concentrates on basics...and more importantly which is common or popular because I don’t have the resources to buy a book right now.

Engineering news on Phys.org
roTTer said:
Just as the title explains...I would like suggestions from you people on books or papers to refer to do a technical paper on SMART Grids...I will be starting my work from the basics...so would like to have a book that also concentrates on basics...and more importantly which is common or popular because I don’t have the resources to buy a book right now.

Here's an intro link. Not sure if there are any books already written on it yet -- it's pretty new:

http://www.echelon.com/solutions/smartgrid/

(Disclaimer -- I am employed by that company in the link)

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I want to start work any books related to it that may help me on this topic?

FYI : I’m doing Electrical & Electronics B.Tech 5 Semester, so you may have a certain idea about what subjects I have studied until now.

I'll just add onto berkeman's contribution. :smile:

The U.S. Department of Energy has “The Smart Grid”: An Introduction - Put it to Work.
http://www.oe.energy.gov/SmartGridIntroduction.htm

A very helpful pdf from that source:
http://www.oe.energy.gov/DocumentsandMedia/DOE_SG_Book_Single_Pages(1).pdf

Also, NATURE journal had a “News Feature” on January 6, 2010:
Smart grids: The energy storage problem
by David Lindley
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100106/full/463018a.html

Thanks roTTer and berkeman. You both have given me the opportunity to explore and learn about something new. :smile:

1. What is a SMART grid?

A SMART grid is an advanced electrical grid that utilizes digital technology and communications to improve efficiency, reliability, and sustainability of energy distribution.

2. Why is it important to learn about SMART grids?

SMART grids are becoming increasingly prevalent as a means to modernize energy infrastructure and address challenges such as renewable energy integration and aging infrastructure. Learning about SMART grids can help inform decisions and advancements in the field.

3. Can you recommend any books for beginners to learn about SMART grids?

Yes, some recommended books for beginners include "Smart Grids: Infrastructure, Technology, and Solutions" by Stuart Borlase, "Smart Grids: Clouds, Communications, Open Source, and Automation" by Janaka Ekanayake, and "The Smart Grid: Enabling Energy Efficiency and Demand Response" by Clark W. Gellings.

4. Are there any books specifically focused on the technical aspects of SMART grids?

Yes, some books that delve into the technical aspects of SMART grids include "Smart Grid: Fundamentals of Design and Analysis" by James Momoh, "Smart Grids: Technologies, Applications, and Management" by Stuart Borlase, and "Smart Grid Handbook" by Chen-Ching Liu and Stephen McArthur.

5. Are there any books that discuss the future of SMART grids?

There are several books that explore the future of SMART grids, including "The Future of the Electric Grid" by Fereidoon P. Sioshansi, "Smart Grids: Advanced Technologies and Solutions" by Stuart Borlase, and "Power System Smart Grids: Security and Privacy Issues" by Ahmed Faheem Zobaa and Shady H. E. Abdel Aleem.