Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pleease explain uniformity of B in circular loop ?

1. Dec 6, 2013 #1
    Why is the magnetic flux density uniform at the center of the circular loop ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not uniform. It varies in all directions. B is nearly uniform in the center of a long solenoid.

4. Dec 6, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

As you move towards one part of the circumference you are moving away from another at 180° to the first. The rise from one tends to cancel the fall from the other, so the field is remarkably smooth and gently curved near the axis.

6. Dec 8, 2013 #5
    Thank you so much for you help , so its not uniform .... My textbook is really mistaken about almost everything >.< but what can I do .... You said that its nearly uniform at the center of the solenoid , so its not completely ? How so ?

7. Dec 8, 2013 #6
  8. Dec 8, 2013 #7
    Thank you so much , your simplified explanation was extremely helpful , thank you sincerely !

9. Dec 8, 2013 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The attached screen dump shows two things. Firstly a circular loop of short filamentary segments, and secondly the B field measured across the circle, but very slightly offset from the plane of the circle which reduces the extreme peaks close to filaments.

If you want a 3D volume of reasonably uniform magnetic field you can use two plane loops in an arrangement called a Helmholtz coil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coil

Attached Files:

10. Jan 2, 2014 #9

Thanks ، I think I understand now , thank you so much for the Helmholtz example ,realky helped

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook