1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting a parametric function + area

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    Given the parametric function defined by x = a cos ^3t, y = a sin^3t, plot the curve.

So I converted the above to (x/a)^(2/3) + (y/a)^(2/3) = 1, and from that got y +-a(1-(x/a)^(2/3))^(3/2). However, I have no idea of how to actually plot a function of this form. Is my only choice to make a table?

I also have to find the area of the region enclosed by this function. To do this, I need to find the integral of y(t)x'(t)dt from alpha to beta. However, y(t)x'(t)dt = sin^4tcos^2tdt and I can't find a proper u-substitution for integration.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2
    When I work with parametric equations I find it simplest to use a graphing program. If you do not have such a program available to you then your only options are to make a table and graph it out by hand, this is of course assuming that you can not turn it back to Cartesian form such as y=f(x) and decipher its shape from there.

For the area problem you could sub:

[tex] cos^{2}(x)=1-sin^{2}(x) [/tex]

which will give:

[tex] \int sin^{4}(t)-sin^{6}(t) dt [/tex]

in which you can use the fact that:

[tex] \frac {1-cos(2x)}{2}= sin^{2}(x) [/tex]

and:

[tex] (\frac {1-cos(2x)}{2})^{2} = sin^{4}(x) [/tex]

etc....

to solve that problem from there.

Note you will have to use the cosine half angle identity because you will get a cos^4 and cos^2 when you foil out the terms if you make the substitutions shown.

4. Jun 27, 2011 #3
    The issue is that the Cartesian form is y = +-a(1-(x/a)^(2/3))^(3/2), and I have no idea about the shape of such a graph (nor of the simpler y = +-(1-x^(2/3))^(3/2)).
    Thanks for the tip on the area problem!

5. Jun 27, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

have you seen wolfram alpha
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+%28x%29^%282%2F3%29+%2B+%28y%29^%282%2F3%29+%3D+1

now to imagine the plot, first assume a=1 for simplicity

clearly (0,1) and (1,0) are on the curve

now imagine the point where y=x, then 2x^(2/3)=1 which gives
    x=(1/2)^(3/2)

comparing a similar form x^2 + y^2 = 1, would give the unit circle, and at y=x=(1/2)^(1/2), so the circle is "squashed" away form the axes

note it is not defined for negative values of x or y

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no reason to get y in terms of x to plot this equation. You could easily make a rough sketch by hand if you don't have a graphing calculator which plots parametric equations. Just take θ to be 0, π/6, π/4, π/3 and π/2. You can write exact values for the sine and cosine of those angles and use them to plot the (x,y) points in the first quadrant, then free-hand sketch it. If you look carefully you will see that there is a lot of symmetry you can use to get the graph in the other quadrants.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook