Poincare-representation of majorana spinor

In summary, a Majorana spinor is a special type of spinor that has the same field as the (0,1/2) and (1/2,0) representations, which is different from a Dirac spinor, which only has real representations.
torus
Hi,
one labels the Weyl- and Vector-representations of the Poincare group by (0,1/2), (1/2,0), (1/2,1/2) etc., where does the Majorana spinor fit into this?
Or can you say it belongs somehow to the real part of the (0,1/2)+(1/2,0) rep, although this sounds pretty unfamiliar.

Thanks for every response.
torus

Physics news on Phys.org
torus said:
Hi,
one labels the Weyl- and Vector-representations of the Poincare group by (0,1/2), (1/2,0), (1/2,1/2) etc., where does the Majorana spinor fit into this?
Or can you say it belongs somehow to the real part of the (0,1/2)+(1/2,0) rep, although this sounds pretty unfamiliar.

Thanks for every response.
torus

I think you can say that a Majorana spinor is (0,1/2).

As for saying that it belongs to the real part of (0,1/2)+(1/2,0), I guess you can say that, if by real part you mean charge conjugation which turns (0,1/2) to (1/2,0) and vice versa (i.e., swaps chirality).

Thanks for your response!
RedX said:
I think you can say that a Majorana spinor is (0,1/2).

Isn't (0,1/2) the Weyl spinor, I don't think they are quite the same, since the Majorana is supposed to be a real representation, it can't be in the complex (0,1/2).
One text I read sort of implied that you could get the Majorana by a unitary transformation of (0,1/2)+(1/2,0), but I've never seen that.
Unfortunatly I can't seem to find a paper or book about this, so any literature would be greatly appreciated.

SO(N) has only real representations (the generators are antisymmetric and Hermitian), but maybe this doesn't include spinors?

A Dirac 4-component spinor is in the representation (1/2,0)+(0,1/2). You can call the fields [tex](\xi , \eta^{\dagger}) [/tex] where the dagger indicates (0,1/2).

A Majorana spinor is special because the (1/2,0) and the (0,1/2) are the same field, so you'd call the 4-component spinor [tex](\xi , \xi^{\dagger}) [/tex].

In other words a Dirac spinor is two Weyl fields, and a Majorana spinor is only one Weyl field.

So you can say in a sense that if you swap the the position of the two fields, a Majorana spinor is the same, while a Dirac isn't:

[tex](\xi , \eta^{\dagger}) [/tex] ---> [tex](\eta , \xi^{\dagger}) [/tex][tex](\xi , \xi^{\dagger}) [/tex] ---> [tex](\xi , \xi^{\dagger}) [/tex]

So the bottom line is the only one that's the same under swap of fields. Swap of fields is done by charge conjugation operation, so a Majorana spinor is its own charge conjugate. I'm not sure about the terminology of real as applied to spinor representations of SO(4), but this is one way to specify the difference between Majorana and Dirac spinors.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of that, I was just wondering how to express this through the usual representation-notation.

Well, call a spinor representation of SO(4) the letter 'R'. Then [tex]R^{\dagger}=R [/tex] is the condition for Majorana spinor? The adjoint operation swaps SU(2)s. If you swap SU(2)s and it's the same representation, then that's a Majorana representation?

I don't know how to express it mathematically, but if I was asked on an exam, that's what I'd put.

This is discussed in various places, including (IIRC) the textbooks by Weinberg, Polchinski, and Brown.

Thanks, I'll try to get a hold of those books.

1. What is the Poincare representation of Majorana spinor?

The Poincare representation of Majorana spinor is a mathematical framework used in quantum field theory to describe particles with half-integer spin. It was developed by French mathematician Henri Poincare and Italian physicist Ettore Majorana in the early 20th century.

2. How is the Poincare representation of Majorana spinor different from other representations?

The Poincare representation of Majorana spinor is unique in that it describes particles that are their own antiparticles, known as Majorana particles. This is in contrast to other representations which describe particles and their corresponding antiparticles as distinct entities.

3. What are the applications of the Poincare representation of Majorana spinor?

The Poincare representation of Majorana spinor has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of particle physics and cosmology. It is used to describe the behavior of fermions, such as neutrinos, and has implications for understanding the early universe and dark matter.

4. Can the Poincare representation of Majorana spinor be experimentally observed?

While the Poincare representation of Majorana spinor has been successfully used in theoretical calculations, it has not yet been directly observed in experiments. However, there are ongoing efforts to detect and study Majorana particles in various experiments, including those at the Large Hadron Collider.

5. Are there any limitations to the Poincare representation of Majorana spinor?

One limitation of the Poincare representation of Majorana spinor is that it only applies to particles with half-integer spin. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of gravity, so it is not applicable in the context of general relativity. However, it remains a crucial tool in the study of quantum field theory and particle physics.