Point charge(Q) has a divergence zero

In summary: The Author goes through the steps I outlined above.In summary, the conversation discusses the divergence of the D field due to a point charge and its relation to Gauss' law. The D field has a divergence of zero, but Gauss' law states that the divergence should be a finite value due to the presence of a charge. However, the singularity of the vector field at the point charge must be taken into consideration when calculating the divergence and applying Gauss' law. It is possible to construct an irregular volume integral by representing the divergence as a Dirac delta function. The conversation highlights the importance of accurately calculating the divergence near point, line, or surface charges.
bharath423
The D field due to a point charge(Q) has a divergence zero

D = (Q/(4*pi*r2)) ar (ar --- unit vector)

if we calculate the divergence we get zero.

but guass law says that the divergence is a finite value not zero because a charge is present in there.

is it that in calculating divergence we also take a particular surface?

where I am wrong? I am confused of divergence..i tried wikipedia but could understand it upto my extent..i think somebody could help me

Physics news on Phys.org

bharath423 said:
The D field due to a point charge(Q) has a divergence zero

D = (Q/(4*pi*r2)) ar (ar --- unit vector)

if we calculate the divergence we get zero.

but guass law says that the divergence is a finite value not zero because a charge is present in there.

is it that in calculating divergence we also take a particular surface?

where I am wrong? I am confused of divergence..i tried wikipedia but could understand it upto my extent..i think somebody could help me

1.Note the singularity of your vector field at r=0.

2. You cannot make a regular volume integral over a region that includes this singularity, but you can perfectly well form a regular surface integral over a region containing that point in its interior.

3. In order for the premises of Gauss' law to be strictly fulfilled, your function must be defined at ALL points in the region; since this is not the case here, you cannot really apply Gauss' law.

4. It IS possible, however, to construct an irregular volume integral in this case, though, by representing the divergence of your vector field as a Dirac delta "function".

so the divergence at a point shows the sink or source at a given point...so if at r=0 we are able to calculate the divergence then it would be equal to guass law result..is that what you are saying?
if that is so, then divergence for every field except at the source of the field, every where it should be zero then..is it true?

bharath423 said:
so if at r=0 we are able to calculate the divergence then it would be equal to guass law result..
We CAN'T compute it at r=0 because the vector field isn't defined there. Therefore, rigorously, it has no meaning trying to apply Gauss' law, and thus, Gauss' law isn't "invalidated" by this case since the vector vield falls outside the class of vector fields Gauss' law is speaking about.

if that is so, then divergence for every field except at the source of the field, every where it should be zero then..is it true?
Yes.

so divergence is calculated at a particular point only...then in case we calculate for a surface then we get all the sources and sinks which is nothing but the total charge...and this is what gauss law says ..im correct??

arildno said:
the vector vield falls outside the class of vector fields Gauss' law is speaking about.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Many quantities in physics are loosley called "functions", but are really distributions. This is true of charge density. For some idealized continuous charge distributions, you can represent the charge density as a function, but most of the time it can only be represented as a distribution. So, since Gauss' Law (for [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] or [itex]\textbf{D}[/itex]) involves charge density (total or free), which is a distribution, it should be understood that the divergence of [itex]\textbf{D}[/itex] should be treated as a distribution and calculated accordingly.

@bharath423

You need to be careful when calculating the divergence near point, line, or surface charges. The easiest method to find the correct distribution is to calculate the divergence normally everyhwere except near you singularities (in this case, everywhere except a small region around your point charge), and then calculate the flux through any closed surface surrounding a single singularity, and using the divergence theorem, deduce what the divergence must be in the visciunity of that singularity.

For your case, you should take a look at Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics where the Author calculates the divergence of [tex]\frac{\hat{\mathbf{r}}}{r^2}[/tex]. IIRC it is near the very end of the 1st chapter.

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept in physics that represents a charged particle with a negligible size and mass. It is often used to simplify calculations in electrostatics and electromagnetic theory.

2. What is divergence?

Divergence is a mathematical operation that describes the amount of a vector field that is flowing out or into a point in space. It is a measure of the spreading or concentration of a vector field.

3. How is divergence related to a point charge?

A point charge has a divergence of zero because it represents a single point in space where all of the electric field lines converge or diverge. This means that the electric field is constant at all points around the charge and does not spread out or concentrate.

4. Why is it important for a point charge to have a divergence of zero?

It is important for a point charge to have a divergence of zero because it allows for the simplification of calculations in electrostatics and electromagnetic theory. It also means that the electric field is conservative, meaning that the work done by the field on a charged particle moving around the point charge is independent of the path taken.

5. Can a point charge have a non-zero divergence?

No, a point charge cannot have a non-zero divergence. This is because a point charge, by definition, has a size of zero and therefore cannot have any spreading or concentration of the electric field around it.