Divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r##

In summary: The divergence of a field due to a point charge is zero only at the origin. However, for a vector field which varies according to ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r##, at any point but the origin, the divergence is 2x. This means that the field is trying to push two charges side by side away from each other.
ubergewehr273
Basically a case where a positive charge q is placed in space which for convenience is taken as the origin. This electric field must have a large positive divergence but yet when evaluated mathematically we get 0. Also when we find divergence, we find it for a point right ? or is it possible to find it for a region as a whole ? If the former is true then at any point other than the origin, flux going in is greater than flux coming out and therefore the divergence of this vector field at this point should be negative. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ashes Panigrahi said:
... but yet when evaluated mathematically we get 0.
Be careful here. A term like ##r/r## is equal to one except at ##r=0## where it is undefined.

A divergence is a point function.

kuruman said:
Be careful here. A term like ##r/r## is equal to one except at ##r=0## where it is undefined.
Lets just confine to finding divergence at a point other than the origin. Then shouldn't divergence be negative?

For a point charge at the origin, the divergence is zero everywhere except at the origin. The appropriate Maxwell equation is ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho(r)## where in terms of the Dirac delta function the volume charge density is ##\rho(r)=Q\delta(r)/(4\pi r^2)##.

Ashes Panigrahi said:
Then shouldn't divergence be negative?
What's wrong with this?

What's wrong is that you assert without proof that "flux going in is greater than flux coming out".

kuruman said:
"flux going in is greater than flux coming out".
Since the field varies with ##\frac {1} {r^2}## isn't this true?

Ashes Panigrahi said:
Since the field varies with ##\frac {1} {r^2}## isn't this true?
Nope. The area of a sphere varies as ##r^2## so the flux through a sphere surrounding the charge will be the same regardless of the size of the sphere.

If you do the math to calculate the divergence of ##\frac{1}{r^2}\hat r## you ll see that it is zero for any r except r=0 where it is not defined (because field becomes infinite at r=0). The intuitive meaning of divergence at a point is flux coming into that point minus flux coming out of that point (to be more precise flux regarding an infinitesimal area centered at that point), so it is always zero except if there is a source (or sink) at that point that generates flux in which case divergence becomes positive (source exists at that point) or negative (sink exists at that point).

Last edited:
Delta² said:
If you do the math to calculate the divergence of ##\frac{1}{r^2}\hat r## you ll see that it is zero for any r except r=0 where it is not defined (because field becomes infinite at r=0). The intuitive meaning of divergence at a point is flux coming into that point minus flux coming out of that point (to be more precise flux regarding an infinitesimal area centered at that point), so it is always zero except if there is a source (or sink) at that point that generates flux in which case divergence becomes positive (source exists at that point) or negative (sink exists at that point).
So you're telling that for any vector field, when I calculate divergence at any point except a source or a sink, the result is zero?
Let's take an example where a field ##\vec F=x^2 \hat i## exists.
When I calculate divergence for this field I get ##2x## so the divergence is zero only at the origin. Does this mean that every other point in space is a source (positive x axis) or a sink(negative x axis) ?

Ashes Panigrahi said:
So you're telling that for any vector field, ...
Where did you see the wording "any vector field"?
Ashes Panigrahi said:
Let's take an example where a field ##\vec F=x^2 \hat{ i}## exists. When I calculate divergence for this field I get ##2x## so the divergence is zero only at the origin.
Here we are talking about the divergence of a field due to a point charge, but since you brought it up, in this example the divergence is not zero only at the origin. It is zero in the entire yz plane.

kuruman said:
Here we are talking about the divergence of a field due to a point charge, but since you brought it up, in this example the divergence is not zero only at the origin. It is zero in the entire yz plane.
Oh yes, sorry for the mistake.
Ashes Panigrahi said:
Does this mean that every other point in space is a source (positive x axis) or a sink(negative x axis) ?
What about this?

That's what it means.

Likes Delta2
I still have one doubt in mind. Could you help me in intuitively understanding the meaning of zero divergence for a field varying according to ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r##, at any point but the origin.

You just took some vector field which has divergence everywhere , however it is not the solution to some equation describing a setup in physical reality, you will not find this vector field as solution to Maxwell's equations or Navier-Stokes equations or some other equations that describe a vector field of a realistic setup.

Last edited:
Ashes Panigrahi said:
I still have one doubt in mind. Could you help me in intuitively understanding the meaning of zero divergence for a field varying according to ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r##, at any point but the origin.

Since this field describes a situation where there are no sources except at the origin, hence the divergence at any point except at the origin will be zero.

Likes ubergewehr273
Delta² said:
Since this field describes a situation where there are no sources except at the origin, hence the divergence at any point except at the origin will be zero.
Thanks for the explanation

Likes Delta2
Ashes Panigrahi said:
Could you help me in intuitively understanding the meaning of zero divergence for a field varying according to ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat {r}##, at any point but the origin.
As an alternative explanation to the one offered by @Delta², here's one that makes use of the divergence theorem. Imagine a shell of arbitrary inner radius ##R_1## and outer radius ##R_2## centered at the source. In the limit ##R_2 \rightarrow\infty## and ##R_1 \rightarrow 0##, "the flux through one shell must come out the outer shell because there are no sources inside the shell".

Likes ubergewehr273
kuruman said:
As an alternative explanation to the one offered by @Delta², here's one that makes use of the divergence theorem. Imagine a shell of arbitrary inner radius ##R_1## and outer radius ##R_2## centered at the source. In the limit ##R_2 \rightarrow\infty## and ##R_1 \rightarrow 0##, "the flux through one shell must come out the outer shell because there are no sources inside the shell".
Thanks for the clarity.

1. What is the concept of "Divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r##"?

The divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a vector field as it approaches a point. It measures how much the vector field is spreading out or concentrating at that point.

2. How is the divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## calculated?

The divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## is calculated using the divergence operator, which is represented by the symbol ∇·. In this case, the divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## can be found by taking the dot product of the gradient operator (∇) with the vector field ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r##.

3. What does a positive or negative divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## indicate?

A positive divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## indicates that the vector field is spreading out from the point, while a negative divergence indicates that the vector field is converging towards the point. A divergence of zero indicates that the vector field is neither spreading out nor converging at the point.

4. How is the concept of "Divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r##" relevant in real-world applications?

The concept of divergence is relevant in various fields such as physics, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. In physics, it is used to describe the flow of a fluid or gas through a point. In fluid mechanics, it helps in understanding the behavior of fluids in a given system. In electromagnetism, it helps to determine the electric or magnetic field strength at a point.

5. Can the divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## be negative at all points?

No, the divergence of ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## can only be negative at points where the vector field is converging towards the point. At all other points, the divergence will either be positive or zero. This is because the vector field ##\frac {1} {r^2} \hat r## is always pointing away from the origin, and the divergence is a measure of how much the vector field is changing at a particular point.