Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point - Counterpoint

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might be intersting to list only one point and counterpoint wrt to political issues. Of course a point or counterpoint can be used again as a point. Obscure quotes should be supported with a link. Personal opinions may be used as counterpoints or points, but please limit all statements to no more than two lines of text.

No other discussion please.

Point [McCain~]: I won't surrender in Iraq. I won't surrender to terrorists.

Counterpoint [Obama~] We need to be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. We need to create alliances so as to reduce the burden on the US. The war on terror is everyone's war.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I used to play Point - Counterpoint with my ex (based on the old 60 minute segment). I always played the devil's advocate. He didn't get it. :grumpy:

<back to our regularly scheduled programming>

4. Feb 9, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ms. South Carolina: "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the US should help the U.S., umh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us."

GWB: "Because of your work, children who once wanted to die are now preparing to live." (Dec. 14, 2006)

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5
    GWB: “We got issue in America. Too many good docs are getting out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their... their love with women all across the country.” — Sept. 6, 2004

Michael Moore: “The United States is number 37 in health care around the world, just slightly ahead of Slovenia.” — Sicko

7. Feb 10, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'm lost. How is this point - counterpoint?

It seems more like an example of dumb and dumber! :biggrin:

8. Feb 10, 2008 #7

ShawnD

Science Advisor

wat?

What is the context of this?

9. Feb 10, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/rm/2006/77844.htm

10. Feb 10, 2008 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks. For a minute, I was imagining Bush speaking at an anti-abortion rally.

11. Feb 10, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gokul was having some fun here. Let's keep it on the level please. :biggrin:

12. Feb 13, 2008 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Point: "Senator Clinton supports governors like Governor Spitzer who believe they need such a measure (drivers licenses for illegal aliens) to deal with the crisis caused by this administration's failure to pass comprehensive immigration reform," http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a..._drivers_license_plan_for_illegal_immigrants/

Counterpoint: "I support Governor Spitzer's decision today to withdraw his proposal," Clinton said in a statement. "As president, I will not support driver's licenses for undocumented people and will press for comprehensive immigration reform that deals with all of the issues around illegal immigration including border security and fixing our broken system." http://www.anchorrising.com/barnacles/004922.html

Who could argue with that?

13. Feb 15, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Point Romney: "John McCain is a dishonest and liberal Washington insider unworthy of the Republican presidential nomination".

Counterpoint Romney: "I endorse John McCain for President of the US".

The talking heads are having heart attacks! Even their "conservative" Romney has betrayed them.

14. Feb 15, 2008 #13
    LOL. :tongue2:

15. Mar 5, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Point - March 2008:
    [Narrator] It's 3 AM, and your children are safe and asleep. But there's a phone in the White House, and it's ringing. Something's happening in the world. Your vote will decide who answers that call, whether it's someone who already knows the world's leaders, knows the military, someone tested and ready to lead in a dangerous world. It's 3 AM, and your children are safe and asleep. Who do you want answering the phone?

[SEN. HILLARY CLINTON] I'm Hillary Clinton, and I approve this message.

-------------------------

Counterpoint - October, 2004:
    [FMR. PRES. CLINTON] Now, one of Clinton's laws of politics is this: If one candidate's trying to scare you and the other one's trying to get you to think, if one candidate's appealing to your fears and the other one's appealing to your hopes, you better vote for the person who wants you to think and hope.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23434169/page/4/

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?