Point on plane closest to point

In summary, the problem involves finding the point B on a plane that is closest to a given point A. The solution involves finding the projection of the vector CA onto the normal vector of the plane, and subtracting this from the given point A to find the point B. However, care must be taken to correctly calculate the projection and to use the correct equation for the plane. Other methods, such as the Lagrange multiplier method, can also be used to find the closest point on a plane.
JeeebeZ

Homework Statement

Find the point B on the plane x + 2y +3z = 1 that is closest to the point A (4,5,6).

2. The attempt at a solution

norm vector = n = [ 1 2 3 ]
A = (4,5,6)
a point C on the plane would (1,0,0)

CA vector = [ 3 5 6 ]

Projection of CA on to n = (CA.n / ||n||^2) n
= (((3*1) + (5*2) + (6*3))/14) n
= 3n

ProgCA(n) = [3 6 9]

So... That's where I am... I don't know if that would be the answer? B = (3, 6, 9)?

The reason I'm confused is if I enter the plane and point into different on-line calculators that are for distance between a point and a plane I get 8.8196 as the shortest distance.

But distance is the ||BA Vector|| = 3.316

I tried swapping the CA vector to AC Vector and I got B = (-3,-6,-9)

But then distance was 19.874.

So that didn't equate either. So.. I'm stuck and don't know what to look for next

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I'd have found the equation of the line through A in direction of the normal ... where this intersects the plane is the closest point.

But there are several ways to do it. You could, for instance, find the equation of the distance from an arbitrary point on the plane to point A, then minimize it.

The trick to being confident that your answer is the correct one is to see if you can explain the geometry of your method, like the two examples above.

You can also do some basic tests to check - eg. is B a point in the plane?

JeeebeZ said:

Homework Statement

Find the point B on the plane x + 2y +3z = 1 that is closest to the point A (4,5,6).

A = (4,5,6)

CA vector = [ 3 5 6 ]

= 3n

You miscalculated something. ((3*1) + (5*2) + (6*3))/14)=31/14

ehild

Simon Bridge said:
You can also do some basic tests to check - eg. is B a point in the plane?

That would have been the smartest thing to do...

3 + 2*6 + 3*9 != 1... /sigh

I think the meta-skill here, of checking your answers and choosing methods that allow you to be confident of your results, is actually more important than solving the actual puzzle in front of you.

JeeebeZ said:

Homework Statement

A = (4,5,6)

CA vector = [ 3 5 6 ]

= 31/14n

ProgCA(n) = [31/14 62/14 93/14]

So I should be looking for A - ProgCA(n)...

( 25/14, 8/14, -9/14 )

(25 + 2*8 - 9*3)/14 = 1
(25 + 16 - 27) / 14 = 1
14 / 14 = 1
1 = 1

So the point B on the plane that is closest to A would be (25/14, 8/14, 9/14)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg513/scaled.php?server=513&filename=junkh.png&res=landing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. See I still don't think that's right.. b/c when i calculate the distance it comes out to be 7.825.. and I know it is 8.819 based off of calculators for distance from a plane. And I've used more then one just to make sure that the calculator wasn't wrong. :p

Code:
x    4     1
y = 5 + t2
z    6     3

x = 4    t
y = 5 + 2t
z = 6    3t

4 + t + 2( 5 + 2t ) + 3( 6 + 3t ) = 1
4 + 10 + 18 + t + 4t + 9t = 1
32 + 14t = 1
t = -31/14

Which would give me ( 25/14, 8/14, -9/14 )

Same answer as the last one.. these are the only 2 methods i know and they are both wrong :(

Last edited:
You meant -9/14 for z... It is correct. You might have some rounding errors when calculating the distance. The projection of CA onto n is CAdot n /||n||=31/√14=8.28

Have you learned about the Lagrange multiplier method to find conditional extrema?

http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Lagrange_multipliers.

You have to find the minimum distance between a point in the plane P(x,y,z) and point A, that is the minimum of d2=(x-4)2+(y-5)2+(z-6)2 with the condition that x + 2y +3z -1 =0. Multiply the condition with the Lagrange multiplier λ and add to the function to be minimised. Find the values of x,y,z which make the partial derivatives of (x-4)2+(y-5)2+(z-6)2+λ(x + 2y +3z -1)
all zero and fulfil the condition.

ehild

Last edited:
wow...

I've been entering the calculation as a point P(4,5,6) and equation 1x + 2y + 3z + 1 = 0... not -1 but 1.
So I was entering the equation x +2y +3z = -1... that's why i kept getting 8.8...

I get 8.2851 when i calculate ||A - B||... the online one gives 8.285098499285...

I swear if I could go one day without a sign error somewhere in my problems... I would be happy

JeeebeZ said:
I swear if I could go one day without a sign error somewhere in my problems... I would be happy

Never mind...It happens with everybody. :biggrin:

ehild

1. What is the concept of "Point on plane closest to point"?

The concept of "Point on plane closest to point" refers to the process of finding the point on a given plane that is closest to a specific point in space. This is often used in mathematical calculations and in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is the distance between two points calculated?

The distance between two points is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the distance between two points is equal to the sum of the squares of the differences between their coordinates. This can be represented as d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2).

3. What is the formula for finding the point on a plane closest to a given point?

The formula for finding the point on a plane closest to a given point is known as the "nearest point projection formula". It involves finding the dot product of the vector connecting the given point and a point on the plane with the normal vector of the plane. The resulting vector is then added to the given point to find the closest point on the plane.

4. Can this concept be applied in three-dimensional space?

Yes, this concept can be applied in three-dimensional space. The formula for finding the point on a plane closest to a given point can be extended to three-dimensional coordinates by adding a third coordinate (z) to the calculation. The same principles apply in terms of finding the dot product and adding the resulting vector to the given point.

5. How is this concept used in real-world applications?

The concept of "Point on plane closest to point" is used in various real-world applications such as navigation systems, computer graphics, and engineering calculations. It can also be applied in fields such as statistics and data analysis to find the best fit line or plane for a set of data points.