Poisson Equation Neumann boundaries singularity

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the poisson equation with neumann BC's in a 2D cartesian geometry, using a fast Fourier transform in the x direction and a finite difference scheme in the y. The equation becomes -kx^2p_{i,j}+(((p_{i,j-1})-(2*p_{i,j})+(p_{i,j+1}))/(dy^2))=RHS, with dp/dy=0 at the boundaries enforced using ghost boundary points. The matrix becomes singular when kx=0, and the speaker asks for help in solving this issue. They also inquire about setting p_{hat}=0 at these points and converting back to real space, and the response suggests being
vector_problems
I am trying to solve the poisson equation with neumann BC's in a 2D cartesian geometry as part of a Navier-Stokes solver routine and was hoping for some help.

I am using a fast Fourier transform in the x direction and a finite difference scheme in the y. This means the poisson equation becomes

-kx^2p_{i,j}+(((p_{i,j-1})-(2*p_{i,j})+(p_{i,j+1}))/(dy^2))=RHS

with dp/dy=0 at the boundaries being enforced using ghost boundary points

this inverts easily for all wavenumbers except when kx=0 when the matrix is singular.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience dealing with this problem and any standard methods of solving such a problem?

Can you simply set p_{hat}=0 at these points and then convert back to real space?

Thanks

Is p_{i,j} the Fourier transform? You should take care that the method does not produce some unwanted complex phase which might ruin the solution.
The kx=0 entry is the mean value for that "row" so you can not just set it equal to zero. I would imagine it depends a bit on your RHS how to best proceed.

PS: If you want to keep it fully spectral you could solve in the y-direction using a cosine transform.

1. What is the Poisson Equation?

The Poisson Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the distribution of electric charges and the electric field they produce. It is commonly used in electrostatics and plays a crucial role in understanding and solving problems related to electric fields and their behavior.

2. What are Neumann boundaries in the context of the Poisson Equation?

Neumann boundaries are a type of boundary condition used in the Poisson Equation. They specify the value of the normal component of the electric field at the boundary of a given region. This means that the electric field at the boundary is perpendicular to the surface at that point.

3. What is a singularity in the Poisson Equation?

In the context of the Poisson Equation, a singularity refers to a point where the electric field or potential becomes infinite. This can occur at the location of a point charge or at the boundary of a conductor, where the charge density is infinite.

4. How do Neumann boundaries impact the singularity in the Poisson Equation?

Neumann boundaries can help to reduce or eliminate the singularity in the Poisson Equation. By specifying the normal component of the electric field at the boundary, the boundary condition can be used to control the behavior of the electric field and prevent it from becoming infinite at that point.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Poisson Equation with Neumann boundaries and singularities?

The Poisson Equation with Neumann boundaries and singularities has many practical applications, including in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, electromagnetics, and electrochemical systems. It is also used in fields such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and image processing.