Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarizing unpolarized light

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    Why does a polarizing filter transmit 50% the intensity of unpolarized light?

I would have thought that since only 0.5 of the electric field gets through, this would cut down the intensity by 0.5^2 = 0.25?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

It may be easiest to think in terms of energy. If half the energy is in the horizontal polarization and half in the vertical, whhen I remove half, half is left.

4. Jan 31, 2009 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, not half of the E-field gets through. If you take a random orientation (uniformly distributed) between 0 and 90 degrees (noted by angle A) then the component that gets through is cos(A). We have to average cos(A) between 0 and 90 degrees then (or, in radians):

2/pi x integral(cos(A) dA between 0 and pi/2) = 2/pi.

5. Feb 2, 2009 #4
    That's a great question;
    the answer lies in Malus' law which states that the intensity of the transmitted light thru a polarizer varies as the square of the cosine of the angle...

I = I*[cos^2 (X)]

However, that is not the whole story. For an Unpolarized initial beam there are many linear polarization directions which are randomly oriented and so they have an average cos^2 value of 1/2.

Creator

6. Feb 2, 2009 #5
    Thanks all for your replies. I found a neat explanation that goes like this. Assume that the initial light is equally polarized in N random directions [itex]\theta_i[/itex]. Then the intensity transmitted according to Malus' law is

[itex]I = \frac{I_0}{N}\cos^2\theta_1 + \cdots = I_0 \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N \cos^2 \theta_i[/itex], which is just the average of cos^2 as N tends to infinity (i.e., 1/2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?