Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pollutant of Ozone?

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    Ok, my area today had an air stagnation advisory, but I was a little confused with the following when reading the explanation in the advisory:

Can someone give me an explanation on the 'pollutant of ozone'?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2007 #2

Mk

Isn't it that people don't like too much ozone at ground level to breathe?

4. May 25, 2007 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

ozone is O_3, and exists naturally in the ozone layer of the atmosphere. I don't know how it gets made on Earth (or if it just comes down somehow) but I'm pretty sure there's some ionization machines that accidentally make O_3 (if it wasn't an urban myth).

5. May 25, 2007 #4
    I think the O3 in the upper layer stays in place mostly
    we make extra O3 mostly thru eltric devices and some chemical reactions
    high up it is a sheild, and good and needed
    down at near ground level a pollutant, health hazzerd, and unwanted

the ionic air cleaners do make some
    link on indoor air ionization

http://www.ilo.org/encyclopedia/?doc&nd=857100213&nh=0

6. May 25, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Tropospheric ozone forms when manmade pollutants (nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide, unburned hydrocarbons, ...) react with oxygen and sunlight. Ozone, when breathed, causes lung damage.

7. May 25, 2007 #6
    O3 is very important in gas in stratosphere for well known reasons.
    The creation of O3 in stratosphere is different from creation of O3 in troposphere. O3 is highly reactive and toxic gas and is considered therefore a polutant in the troposphere where we live.

The chemistry of tropospheric O3 can be quite involved but it mainly it creation or destruction is dependent on NO (nitric oxide) concentration and also tied to hydroxil chemistry.

this is for more detailed explanation: www-personal.umich.edu/~sillman/Sillman-webOZONE.pdf

8. May 28, 2007 #7

Mk

Ahhah! So I win! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?