Pollution can alter your DNA

In summary, a study at McMasters University in Toronto found that pollution can cause genetic mutations in mice. After being exposed to polluted air for 10 weeks, the first group of mice living in an industrial area showed genetic mutations which were passed down to their offspring. The other two groups living in a clean air environment or using a hepafilter showed no mutations. The question was raised whether reducing pollution and replacing coal and gas power generators with more efficient nuclear generators would be safer, as nuclear power plants are now over 200% safer than Chernobyl and less harmful to both humans and the environment. The conversation also touched on how life adapts and how health is defined.
i_wish_i_was_smart
a new study at McMasters University in Toronto has discovered that polution can alter your DNA, the research were done on mice, three categories, the first category lived in the middle of an industrial zone brething in heavily poluted air, the second lived on a farm with clean air, and the third lived in the industrial zone but breathing air filtered by a hepafilter(sp?), it was shown that after 10 week the first group had sufered a genetic mutation and that mutation was passed down to their offsprings, the next 2 groups suffered nothing, they were both healthy.

now my question is this, given that a large amount of time people breath in poluted air, mutation arises, wouldn't it be safer to cut down more on polution, take away most of the coal and gas power generators and replace them with more effecient nuclear generators, since now nuclar PPs are over 200% safer than Chernobyl, they are more effecient, and less harful to us and the enviroment, what do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
All sounds well and good but there are always whiners who protest. Just cos of Chernobyl. However a lot of protesters don't know the facts properly, and nuclear power plants are very safe and efficient. Stupid whining greenpeace :devil:

i agree, there is threat assesment, which educated people use to determine their stance, those people look at all the stats never leaving one behind.
then there is threat perception, what the general public uses to make their opinion, those people use the past and the fear factor of not knowing to make their opinion, it is said that the general public can not understand a statistic over 1 in 10000, even though 1 in 1000000 means their is less threat they can't understand it there fore it is just "another" statistic

Life adapts

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
a new study at McMasters University in Toronto has discovered that polution can alter your DNA, the research were done on mice, three categories, the first category lived in the middle of an industrial zone brething in heavily poluted air, the second lived on a farm with clean air, and the third lived in the industrial zone but breathing air filtered by a hepafilter(sp?), it was shown that after 10 week the first group had sufered a genetic mutation and that mutation was passed down to their offsprings, the next 2 groups suffered nothing, they were both healthy.

now my question is this, given that a large amount of time people breath in poluted air, mutation arises, wouldn't it be safer to cut down more on polution, take away most of the coal and gas power generators and replace them with more effecient nuclear generators, since now nuclar PPs are over 200% safer than Chernobyl, they are more effecient, and less harful to us and the enviroment, what do you guys think?

Why are you surprised? :confused:

If a species is stressed it adapts or dies. :approve:

And how do you define healthy? :confused:

berty said:
Why are you surprised? :confused:

If a species is stressed it adapts or dies. :approve:

And how do you define healthy? :confused:
i never said i was surprised,
by healthy i meant no changes in those mice, not geneticaly or anything

1. How does pollution alter your DNA?

Pollution can alter your DNA through exposure to harmful chemicals and toxins such as air pollutants, water pollutants, and pesticides. These pollutants can cause mutations in your DNA, leading to potential health issues.

2. Can pollution impact future generations through DNA alterations?

Yes, pollution can impact future generations through DNA alterations. These alterations can be passed down through genetic material, potentially leading to health issues in future offspring.

3. Are there certain types of pollution that are more damaging to DNA than others?

Yes, certain types of pollution, such as heavy metals, can be more damaging to DNA than others. These pollutants have been linked to increased risk of cancer and other health issues.

4. Can DNA alterations caused by pollution be reversed?

In some cases, DNA alterations caused by pollution may be reversible through certain treatments and lifestyle changes. However, more research is needed to fully understand the extent to which these alterations can be reversed.

5. How can we protect ourselves from pollution-induced DNA alterations?

The best way to protect ourselves from pollution-induced DNA alterations is to reduce our exposure to pollutants. This can be done by using environmentally friendly products, reducing our carbon footprint, and advocating for stricter environmental regulations.

Back