Can the Polynomial $x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$ Have a Root Greater Than 1?

In summary: If $f(x)$ is a polynomial with rational roots, then there exists a rational root $r$ such that $f'(x) > r$ for all $x>1$.Therefore, $f(x)$ has no rational root greater than $r$. (Nerd)In summary, the polynomial $x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$ has no root greater than 1.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Prove that $x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$ has no root greater than 1.

This is one of my all time favorite challenge problems! :eek:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:

If the polynomial has a root,then it will be of the form $\frac{k}{l}, \text{ with } (k,l)=1 \text{ and } k \mid -1 \Rightarrow k= \pm 1 \text{ and }l \mid 1 \Rightarrow l \pm 1$

Therefore,the unique possible roots are $\pm 1$.

So,we conclude that the polynomial $x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$ has no root greater than 1. (Nerd)

I'm sorry evinda, I'm afraid I don't follow your reasoning...but, thanks for attempting to solve this challenge...:)

anemone said:

Suppose it has got a raional root.
because the coefficeint of highest power that is x^7 is one then the root has to be a factor of -1 that is 1 or -1 .

so it has no root > 1

The above follows straight from Rational root theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

evinda said:
If the polynomial has a root,then it will be of the form $\frac{k}{l}, \text{ with } (k,l)=1 \text{ and } k \mid -1 \Rightarrow k= \pm 1 \text{ and }l \mid 1 \Rightarrow l \pm 1$

Therefore,the unique possible roots are $\pm 1$.

So,we conclude that the polynomial $x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$ has no root greater than 1. (Nerd)

Hi! ;)

It should be: If the polynomial has a rational root, then the polynomial has no rational root greater than 1.

That leaves the real roots... (Sweating)

anemone said:

Solution using calculus:
[sp]Let $f(x) = x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$. Then $f(1) = 8 > 0$. Also, $f'(x) = 7x^6 - 10x^4 + 20x$, so that $f'(1) = 17 > 0.$ If we can show that $f'(x) > 0$ for all $x>1$, then $f(x)$ will increase for all $x>1$ and so can have no zeros there.

Next, $f'(x) = x(7x^5 - 10x^3 + 20)$. If we can show that $g(x) = 7x^5 - 10x^3 + 20 >0$ for all $x>1$, then it will follow that $f'(x) > 0$ for all $x>1$, as required. But $g(1) = 17 > 0$, and $g'(x) = 35x^4 - 30x^2 = 5x^2(7x^2-6)$, which is certainly positive for all $x>1$. Hence $g(x)$ increases for all $x>1$ and is therefore always positive there.[/sp]
That does not strike me as the sort of argument that would qualify as an "all time favourite", so I suspect that there must be a more attractive method of proof.

kaliprasad said:
Suppose it has got a raional root.
because the coefficeint of highest power that is x^7 is one then the root has to be a factor of -1 that is 1 or -1 .

so it has no root > 1

The above follows straight from Rational root theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks kaliprasad for your solution. :)

Opalg said:
Solution using calculus:
[sp]Let $f(x) = x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$. Then $f(1) = 8 > 0$. Also, $f'(x) = 7x^6 - 10x^4 + 20x$, so that $f'(1) = 17 > 0.$ If we can show that $f'(x) > 0$ for all $x>1$, then $f(x)$ will increase for all $x>1$ and so can have no zeros there.

Next, $f'(x) = x(7x^5 - 10x^3 + 20)$. If we can show that $g(x) = 7x^5 - 10x^3 + 20 >0$ for all $x>1$, then it will follow that $f'(x) > 0$ for all $x>1$, as required. But $g(1) = 17 > 0$, and $g'(x) = 35x^4 - 30x^2 = 5x^2(7x^2-6)$, which is certainly positive for all $x>1$. Hence $g(x)$ increases for all $x>1$ and is therefore always positive there.[/sp]

Thanks, Opalg for posting your solution through calculus method, and thanks for participating!

Opalg said:
That does not strike me as the sort of argument that would qualify as an "all time favourite", so I suspect that there must be a more attractive method of proof.
Hehehe, I can't speak for others, but the solution that I'm about to show appeals to me a lot...without further ado, here is what I wanted to share with the community here:

The trick is to substitute $y+1$ for $x$ in the given function (which if we let it as $f(x)=x^7-2x^5+10x^2-1$), to end up with $f(y+1)=y^7+7y^6+19y^5+25y^4+15y^3+11y^2+17y+8$ and no sign change in $f(y+1)$ means the function has no positive roots, which in turn suggest that $f(x)$ has no root greater than 1 and we're done.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Polynomial Challenge IV"?

The "Polynomial Challenge IV" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots of a specific polynomial equation. It is a continuation of the previous "Polynomial Challenge" problems, with increasing levels of difficulty.

2. How is the "Polynomial Challenge IV" different from the previous challenges?

The "Polynomial Challenge IV" is more complex and requires a deeper understanding of polynomial equations and their properties. It also involves higher degree polynomials and may have multiple solutions.

3. What is the importance of solving the "Polynomial Challenge IV"?

The "Polynomial Challenge IV" helps to improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. What are some strategies for solving the "Polynomial Challenge IV"?

Some strategies for solving the "Polynomial Challenge IV" include using the quadratic formula, factoring, and graphing the equation to visualize the roots. Additionally, understanding the properties of polynomials such as the sum and product rules can also be helpful.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving the "Polynomial Challenge IV"?

Yes, there are various online resources and textbooks that provide explanations and examples of solving polynomial equations. Additionally, seeking help from a math tutor or instructor can also be beneficial.