Polynomial Division Help - x^3 + 4x^2 - 3x - 12 & -x^3 + 75x - 250

In summary, the person is struggling with two polynomial division problems and has tried tutorials but is still having difficulty. They are asking for help and someone suggests looking at the book or a resource online for guidance on polynomial division.
hopper
I can't seem to get it... I need some help with 2 of the problems below:

x^3 + 4x^2 - 3x - 12
over
x^2 - 3

and

-x^3 + 75x - 250
over
x + 10

I've tried tutorials and everything, I can get a few but these are just a little tricky for me.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you suppose to do?

Simplify into a polynomial?

Thanks for the reply! I'm suppose to divide them. Thanks. :)

I think you should look again at your book to see how one can divide a polynomial by another polynomial.
Or you can look here. It shows you how to divide polynomials, and also provides some examples. From there, you can do the 2 problems, right? :smile:

1. What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is a method used to divide one polynomial expression by another. It involves long division and is used to simplify complex polynomial expressions.

2. How do I perform polynomial division?

To perform polynomial division, first set up the long division format with the dividend (the expression being divided) on top and the divisor (the expression doing the dividing) on the outside. Then, divide each term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor. Multiply the result by the divisor and subtract it from the dividend. Repeat this process until there are no more terms to divide.

3. Can polynomial division be done with variables?

Yes, polynomial division can be done with variables. In fact, it is often used to simplify expressions with variables, such as the example given: x^3 + 4x^2 - 3x - 12 & -x^3 + 75x - 250. The resulting expression will also have variables.

4. What is the purpose of polynomial division?

The purpose of polynomial division is to simplify complex polynomial expressions and to find the remainder when dividing one polynomial by another. It is also used to find roots or factors of polynomial expressions.

5. Are there any special rules or considerations for polynomial division?

Yes, when performing polynomial division, it is important to note that the divisor cannot have a leading coefficient of 0. If this is the case, the division cannot be completed. Additionally, any remainder left after completing the division process should be written as a fraction over the divisor.