1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial equation with complex answers

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    x4+4x3-7x2-12x+24=0

Ive been working on this with my brother for a long time and we dont need to find an answer. we just need to reach a point when we can say that the solution is complex. Any ideas? Any nudge in the right direction with be great.

We tried completing squares, bruteforcing the answer and many other failed attempts

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

What do you mean by "the solution is complex"? There are 4 roots to this. If you find the roots using some online calculators (essentially cheating), you'll see that 2 of them are real and other 2 are complex.

4. Aug 26, 2008 #3
    yea but what if i wanted to figure out the answer without a calculator. how would the process be done?

5. Aug 26, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

points of inflection

Hi axon23! :smile:

Differentiate twice to find the points of inflection …

then you should be able to sketch the graph. :smile:

6. Aug 26, 2008 #5
    I'm not sure what you mean by complex solution but it can be shown that there are no rational solutions by the Rational Root Theorem.

7. Aug 27, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Set the derivative equal to 0 to find max and min points. Since this even power, if all minimum values are positive, the graph does not cross the x-axis and there are no real roots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?