Polynomial Expansion: Find Number of Terms in Any Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for finding the number of terms in any expansion of a polynomial to the y power. The formula is n-y-1Cy, where n is the number of terms in parentheses and y is the power. The conversation also mentions the use of combinations and the binomial formula to prove the formula. There is also a discussion about using dummy variables to find the number of solutions to linear equations.
heartless
Hello
I'm trying to do some research on polynomial expansion however my math isn't that good to do high level calculations, proofs and so on. A while ago my friend came up with a formula for finding number of terms in any expansion of a polynomial to the y power. For example for
(a+b+c+d)^4 = 35 terms
Formula: n-y-1Cy for n = number of terms in paranthases.
Can anyone help me, give some clues on how to proof this formula or show me a proof?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is y? What is C? Are you sure you haven't omitted any parantheses here?

Basically, what you're doing in your example to get the 35 terms is picking 4 objects from a collection of 4, allowing repetition. In general, you have [itex] (a_1 + a_2 + \dots + a_n)^y [/itex]. Are you saying that the formula is [itex] \binom{n-y-1}{y} [/itex]?

Sorry for bad explanation and wrong formula after all,
for any polynomial (with number of terms n) to the yth power we may find number of terms after expansion by
n+y-1 C y
C means 'choose' for example aCb = a!
-----------
(a-b)! b!

for polynomial (a+b+c+d)^4 where number of terms is 4 (a, b, c, d) we may find number of terms after expansion by 4+3C4 which is 7C4 = 35
Thanks for all the help.

nCr is the same as [tex] \binom{n}{r} [/tex] Just different notation.

Clearly, each term in the expansion of [tex](a_{1} + a_{2} + \dots + a_{n})^y [/tex] will have degree y.
Let an arbitary term be [tex]a_{1}^{p}a_{2}^{q}a_{3}^r\dots[/tex] then according to the condition p+q+r...=y.
Thus, find the number of integer solutions of the above equation. that's your required number of terms.

This is kind of interesting in that it might imply a quick solution to a question such as "how many pairs of integers satisfy a+b=100" and beyond, no?

hypermonkey2 said:
This is kind of interesting in that it might imply a quick solution to a question such as "how many pairs of integers satisfy a+b=100" and beyond, no?

well, there is a quick solution to your question hypermonkey2, though i do not know the proof...

the number of solutions to [tex] a_1x_1 + a_2x_2 + \dots + a_nx_n = p \ where \ b_i \leq x_i \leq c_i \mbox{for}\ 1 \leq i \leq n [/tex] is given by the coefficient of [tex] t^n [/tex] in the expression

[tex] \prod ( (t^{a_i})^{b_i} + (t^{a_i})^{b_i + 1} + (t^{a_i})^{b_i + 2} + \dots + (t^{a_i})^{c_i})\where \ 1 \leq i \leq n [/tex]

this however also includes solutions so that two [tex] x_i [/tex] may be equal. for distinct solutions introduce dummy variables so that condition of distinctness is removed. introduction of a dummy variable can be extended to number of solutions of the equation [tex] a_1x_1 + a_2x_2 + \dots + a_nx_n \leq p [/tex].

Last edited:
After spending some time trying to figure out what this is about, I think I see what the problem is. Let p = the power and n=number of linear terms, C = the combinations, then the number of terms in

[tex](\sum n)^p=(p+n-1) C (p).[/tex]

For p=1 it is trivial, and easy enough for p=2; I'll go ahead and show it for all n for p=3.

If n=1, then by the formula we should have 3C3=1, which is correct, and represents (a)^3=a^3, which is one term.

Now if it is true for n terms, which I represent as u and we add one more term, call it b, then we have by the binominal formula:

[tex](u+b)^3=u^3+3u^2b+3ub^2+b^3[/tex]

In this case b^3 adds only 1 term. 3ub^2 adds n more terms. 3u^2b adds (n+1)C2. (This by how the squares work) and u^3 by the induction hypothses adds (n+2)C3.

So we have (n+2)(n+1)n/6+(n+1)n/2+n+1 =(n+1)/6{n^2+2n+3n+6}=
(n+1)/6{(n+2)(n+3)}=(n+3)C3. Or the induction is complete for p=3.

Last edited:
heartless said:
Sorry for bad explanation and wrong formula after all,
for any polynomial (with number of terms n) to the yth power we may find number of terms after expansion by
n+y-1 C y
C means 'choose' for example aCb = a!
-----------
(a-b)! b!

for polynomial (a+b+c+d)^4 where number of terms is 4 (a, b, c, d) we may find number of terms after expansion by 4+3C4 which is 7C4 = 35
Thanks for all the help.
C actually means combination, not choose. Choose is only a simpler representative word for combination to help people to understand better.

Related to Polynomial Expansion: Find Number of Terms in Any Expansion

What is polynomial expansion?

Polynomial expansion is a mathematical process of multiplying two or more terms together to create a larger expression. It is commonly used to simplify and solve equations in algebra.

How do you find the number of terms in a polynomial expansion?

To find the number of terms in a polynomial expansion, you can use the binomial theorem or the general formula for the number of terms in a polynomial with n variables, which is (n+1) raised to the power of the degree of the polynomial.

What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula that describes the coefficients of a binomial expansion. It states that the coefficients of a binomial expansion can be found by taking the coefficients of the terms in the binomial to the corresponding powers and multiplying them together.

Can you give an example of a polynomial expansion?

Yes, an example of a polynomial expansion is (x + y)^3. When expanded, it becomes x^3 + 3x^2y + 3xy^2 + y^3, which has four terms.

Why is it important to know the number of terms in a polynomial expansion?

Knowing the number of terms in a polynomial expansion can help in simplifying and solving equations, as well as understanding the structure and properties of the polynomial. It also allows us to determine the degree of the polynomial, which is an important factor in many mathematical calculations.