Ponctual electric charge problem

In summary, The conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving charges q1=27C and q2=3C located at x=0 and x=1 meters respectively. The question is to find a point where the net force exerted on a third point charge would be equal to 0, besides infinity. The solution involves using Coulomb's law and setting up a quadratic equation, but the mistake is made in the second term where the denominator should be (1-d)^2 and the sign should be negative. The correct solution is d = 3/2*sqrt(2) meters.
fishingspree2
Hello everyone, my answer on the following problem is wrong and I don't see why. I am translating the question from another language, I am sorry if the english is not clear.

Let q1 = 27C localised at x=0, and another charge q2=3C localised at x=1 meters.

a)Besides infinity, find a point where the net force exerced on a third ponctual charge would be = 0.

Solution:
The third charge must be located between q1 and q2 so the forces exerted cancel out.
If is the distance between q1 and the third charge, then 1-d is the distance between q2 and the third charge. Let qx be the third charge.

Then by Coulomb's law:
[tex]0=\frac{kq_{x}q_{1}}{d^{2}}+\frac{kq_{x}q_{2}}{1-d^{2}}[/tex]
k and qx cancel out, we now have
[tex]0=27-54d+30d^{2}[/tex]
This equation has no solution.

However, if we look at things intuitevely, there must be a point where the forces cancel out. the answer is x=0,750 meters.
What is wrong?
Sorry for my english

Physics news on Phys.org
fishingspree2 said:
Then by Coulomb's law:
[tex]0=\frac{kq_{x}q_{1}}{d^{2}}+\frac{kq_{x}q_{2}}{1-d^{2}}[/tex]
Two errors here:
(1) The denominator in the second term should be (1-d)^2, not 1-d^2.
(2) The sign of the second term must be negative, since the field from q2 points to the left.

From your Coulomb equation I get d^2(q2) = -(1 - d^2)q1 = q1d^2 - q1(1m)

(q2 - q1)d^2 = -q1(1 m)

-24d^2 = -27(1 m)

d^2 = 27/24 = 9/8

d = 3/2*sqrt(2)

It doesn't match your answer, so maybe I messed up. HOWEVER the point of my post is that, your quadratic equation is clearly wrong. Where did you get the d term from?

EDIT: Okay, so DocAl pointed out where the mistake was...

1. What is a punctual electric charge?

A punctual electric charge is a theoretical concept used in physics to describe a point in space where there is a concentration of electric charge. It is considered to have no physical size or volume, and is often used in simplified models to represent the behavior of electrically charged particles.

2. How is the punctual electric charge problem defined?

The punctual electric charge problem refers to the difficulty in accurately describing the behavior of a point charge in a theoretical model. This is because the concept of a point charge is idealized and does not fully account for the complexities of real-world electric charges, such as their size, shape, and interactions with other particles.

3. What are the implications of the punctual electric charge problem?

The punctual electric charge problem can lead to inaccuracies and limitations in theoretical models that use point charges. This can affect the accuracy of predictions and explanations about the behavior of electrically charged particles in real-world situations.

4. How do scientists address the punctual electric charge problem?

Scientists have developed various approaches to address the limitations of the punctual electric charge concept. One approach is to use more complex models that take into account the size and shape of charged particles. Another approach is to use statistical methods to account for the distribution of electric charge within a particle.

5. Can the punctual electric charge problem be solved?

The punctual electric charge problem cannot be completely solved as it is a fundamental limitation of the concept of a point charge. However, advancements in theoretical modeling and experimental techniques have allowed scientists to make more accurate predictions and explanations about the behavior of electrically charged particles, reducing the impact of this problem.