Pool heat gain by solar radiation versus heat loss by evaporation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
chrisDH
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

On various websites I read that 70% of the heat loss of a pool is by evaporation, whereas up to 85% of the solar radiation can heat an uncovered pool.

We use 22mm thick black color EPE panels to cover our pool.
On a sunny day, is it better to cover the pool or to leave it uncovered ?

In other words ;
Is the reduction of heat gain (because of the EPE panel cover) compensated by the reduced heat loss by evaporation ?

Thanks for your help

Chris
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How about using a transparent foil cover? It let's the sun in, and keeps the vapor inside.
 
Hi A.T

thanks, but I've had one of those before. there difficult to remove and you need an ugly big roll beside your pool.

Since I've been using the EPE panels my pool is a lot warmer too.
I just cannot figure out whether it's better to cover the pool during a sunny day or not

rgds

Chris